[Ed note: I have invited each candidate for a contested seat to submit one letter before the May 9th Town Election.]
To the Editor:
Hello I’m Meme Luttrell and I’m running for a seat on Southborough’s Planning Board.
My family and I have lived in Southborough for the past 25 years; my children attended Southborough Village Preschool, continued through the Southborough school system and graduated from Algonquin. I have volunteered in numerous capacities with the following organizations for the benefit of our Community: Kindergroup, SOS, Southborough Schools, Southborough Citizens for Community Preservation and the Southborough Open Space Preservation Commission (OSPC). In 2012, as acknowledgement of my accomplishments and dedication I was honored to receive the Elaine Beals Award for Conservation.
I believe my knowledge and experience make me the best candidate for the open position on the Planning Board.
- I understand the importance of the Planning Board’s role in Town Government. What the Planning Board does at every meeting affects, for better or for worse, the look and feel and the character of the town we live in.
- For the past 13 years I’ve been a member of the OSPC and served as chair for over a decade. In that role I’ve been actively involved with planning and land use issues in Southborough.
- I have extensive knowledge of the Planning Board’s activities, having worked with four Town Planners and attended numerous Planning Board meetings; I’m ready to hit the ground running on May 10th as a fully-up-to-speed Planning Board member.
- I believe that state law and the town’s bylaws should steer town board processes and decisions. This approach allows, all participants in permitting processes, including the public and local abutters, to have clear expectations of what can (and cannot) be done. This particularly includes the requirements of the Open Meeting Law, the Public Records Law and the State Ethics Commission regulations.
- I bring an objective, independent view to the Planning Board. I have no conflicts of interest – either real or apparent. I can address each issue, based on the facts presented to the Board without pre-conceived biases.
- I have a long record on the OSPC of listening to the concerns of the abutters to proposed projects, and working to mitigate those concerns. I believe that this is a critical component of reaching fair and balanced permitting decisions, and as a Planning Board member I will continue to listen to local neighborhood concerns.
- I plan to take a proactive role on the Board – looking for ways to be involved in planning for the future of our town as we face ongoing challenges on how to balance anticipated growth while maintaining Southborough’s uniqueness.
My experience, dedication and vision make me particularly well qualified for effective service on the Planning Board and make me the best choice for this position. I ask for your vote on May 9th.