I try my best to cover local news and events. But I can’t get it all, and I don’t work 24/7. So, here are some other great sources.
I listed the links more likely needed for urgent news first. (Emergencies/weather/accidents).
If you are interested in local features or news, scroll down for other media sources for our area.
Emergency Alerts/Official news and updates
- CodeRed phone and text alerts by the town: (Your house phone line should automatically be included in alerts. But to add your mobile phone or texting, you need to register.)
- Town of Southborough Updates: Twitter from our local government (@17Common) – It’s not generally used for emergencies. But it is used to announce town office closings and DPW news.
- Southborough Police Facebook page
- Southborough Fire Department Facebook page
- Southboroughnews.com (Facebook): The editor sometimes shares breaking news on local emergencies (fires, road closures, power outages, etc.)
- Of course, don’t forget that I also have a twitter account and Facebook page.
- Power Outage map: National Grid (Report power outages: 800-322-3223)
- Weather updates: National Weather Service, Boston – Facebook page
- MBTA: Covers the commuter rail with the Southborough stop on the Framingham/Worcester line to Boston
- MWRTA: Covers the “suburb to suburb” bus routes for the Southborough/Marlborough line to Framingham, plus the shuttle to and from the Southborough commuter rail stop.
- Mass Transportation twitter: Updates and alerts on traffic/accidents on Mass highways
- My Southborough: You’re on it. (In case you stumbled across this page, click on the home page for my latest coverage of town events, politics, school news and more. Not to mention reader comments discussing and debating the latest issues residents are talking about.)
- Southborough Access Media: Videos of town government meetings and events in town. More recently it’s also produced informational videos for town organizations and agencies. And it occasionally produces unique features (interviews, etc.)
- Southboroughnews.com (Facebook): The former website is now a Facebook page. The editor sometimes shares breaking news on local emergencies (fires, road closures, power outages, etc.) She often posts great photos of town events and Southborough nature. She also shares news releases and flyers for the region.
- Southborough Wicked Local: News from the Southborough and Northborough Villager (mixed with news from the greater region and national columns.)
- Community Advocate: Feature stories for the towns of Westborough, Shrewsbury, Northborough, Marlborough, Hudson, and Southborough.
- The Algonquin Harbinger: The newspaper run by and for Algonquin Regional High School students.