A reminder from the Southborough Fire Department to clear furnace vents

by susan on January 28, 2011

As the snow continues to pile up, the Southborough Fire Department sends along this important reminder.

New furnaces do not vent their gases through chimneys – they go through the side of your home – usually at the basement level. With large snow accumulations, these vents can become blocked and cause carbon monoxide to back up into your home.

For the safety of you and your family, ensure that all vents are cleared of snow and ice after each storm. Make sure you have carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed and working. Should you, or any member of your family experience flu-like symptoms and suspect that you have been exposed to CO, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Here’s a photo of what a modern furnace vent looks like courtesy of the fire department. You can see more images on their website (southboroughfire.org).

Previous post:

Next post: