Above: Southborough Troop 1 Boy Scouts – Marching down Fruit Street in troop’s early days and honoring veteran’s in 2013. (Photo left contributed; right by Beth Melo)
Southborough’s first Boy Scout troop is marking its centennial.
Troop 1 was established by Robert Cheney 100 years ago this fall. (That’s a lot of community service.)
The troop is planning a cookout for Saturday, September 12th to mark the milestone. They are welcoming both current and past members to join the festivities.
Past, present, and future members of Troop 1 and their families are invited to the event:
September 12, 2015, from 4:00 – 8:00 pm [click to keep reading…]
Limited registration is still available for Southborough Youth Soccer’s fall season through September 10th.
In the spring, SYS warned that after their cutoff date, there may not be sppace available on some teams. Now, organizers are welcoming registrations for fall soccer, but only for U6 – U8 and U14. (U9 – U12 are closed.)
To register or learn more, go to southboroughsoccer.org.
If you’re looking to sign up younger players, look to Town Recreation. They are offering three sessions of First KIX Soccer for kids aged 3-6:
A friendly and fun introduction to dribbling, stopping and controlling the ball. Our noncompetitive curricula introduces players to soccer by teaching the skills with fun games. Players will also be taught how to interact on a team and how to be a good sport. Equipment provided. [click to keep reading…]
Here is a selection of the committee and board meetings for the week along with my selected highlights from the agendas. All these meetings are open to the public, so you’re welcome to stop on by.
Be aware that changes to the meeting schedule are known to happen throughout the week. For a complete list of meetings, visit the town website.
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
- Library Board of Trustees, 5:45 pm @ Eaton Room, Southborough Public Library (agenda) Agenda Highlights: Discuss replacement of Library Trustee and review job descriptions
- Library Board of Trustees, 6:30 pm @ Hearing Room, Town House (agenda) Agenda Highlights: Joint meeting with Board of Selectmen re appointment of new Libary Trustee (5 candidates for 1 vacancy)
- Board of Selectmen, 6:30 pm @ Hearing Room, Town House (agenda) Agenda Highlights: Select and appoint new members of Board of Library Trustees and Municipal Technology Committee; DPW request to form committee to review, prioritize and plan sidewalk construction; revise charge for Public Safety Study Committee - Possibly Broadcast live and replayed by SAM*
- Scholarship Advisory Committee, 7:30 pm @ Country Kitchen, Cordaville Hall, 9 Cordaville Road (agenda) Agenda Highlights:
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
- Economic Development Committee, 8:00 AM @ Globoforce, 144 Turnpike Road, #310 (agenda) Agenda Highlights: EDC Coordinator priorities and work plan
- Board of Health, 1:00 pm @ Board of Health Office, Cordaville Hall, 9 Cordaville Road (agenda) Agenda Highlights: Wireless Internet and Impact on children
*Southborough Access Media plans to broadcast the BOS meeting live on Verizon-37 and Charter-192. But replays of meetings are uncertain this week due to a technical issue caused by last week’s blackout. (SAM is working on replacing equipment and hopes to have rebroadcasts and playbacks via internet back and running again soon.)
(Photo by Susan Fitzgerald)
Above: ARHS Cross Country teams hit the pavement tomorrow to run against AMSA in Marlborough. (Image cropped from Photo posted to Flickr by Steven Pisano)
Two teams will kick off the fall schedule for Algonquin Regional High School’s varsity sports this week.
To find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV and freshmen match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
- 4:00 pm ARHS Girls Cross Country vs. Advanced Math & Science Acad. Charter @ Ghiloni Park
- 4:00 pm ARHS Boys Cross Country vs. Advanced Math & Science Acad. Charter @ Ghiloni Park
Look for varsity Field Hockey, Golf, Volleyball, Soccer, and Football to begin competing next week.
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email email@example.com.
Right: Chestnut Hill Farm is the destination in town this Saturday for animal lovers. Take a look at the growing “kids” and pet or cuddle bunnies. (Contributed photo, click here for enlarged view.)
Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
- First day of public school (grades K-12)
- Neary Welcome Back Ice Cream Social (5:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Neary School Playground: $2 per ice cream
Friday, September 4, 2015
- Trottier SOS Meeting (8:30 – 9:30 am)
- Trottier Volunteer Coffee (9:00 – 10:00 am) @ Trottier Middle School, Library
Saturday, September 5, 2015 [click to keep reading…]
Sandra (Bertonazzi) Cincotta, 74, of Sebago, ME, and formerly a long time resident of Southborough, died peacefully on Thursday, August 27, 2015.
She was the beloved wife of Richard Cincotta for the past 55 years.
Born in Framingham, she was the daughter of the late Louis and Helen (Monette) Bertonazzi.
Sandy attended school in Southborough and for many years she was the 2nd chef for Font-Bon Hall in Framingham. She had a passion for fast cars and motorcycles. Sandy spent many hours customizing automobiles and motorcycles, and won many top trophies for them all. As much as she took pleasure in collecting trophies for her custom vehicles, her greatest joy was spending time with her family. [click to keep reading…]