Police alert: Bitcoin Blackmail scam

by beth on October 30, 2017

Post image for Police alert: Bitcoin Blackmail scam

Southborough Police and a targeted family are alerting the public about a blackmail scam. A Southborough resident brought an extortion letter to police that he received in the mail. The sender attempted to extort a $2,000 bitcoin payment.

The blackmailer targeted a married man, claiming to have unspecified evidence of his “misbehavior” and threatening to humiliate his wife if payment wasn’t made. Southborough Police shared some information in a Facebook warning.

On Facebook, the SPD shared:

There are obvious signs (within the letter) that show the wording had been copied & pasted, in order to change out the name and address of the victim.

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS IS A SCAM. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED ONE OF THESE LETTERS IN THE MAIL: DO NOT SEND MONEY. PLEASE SHARE THIS WARNING WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

The targeted man’s wife also posted images of the letter on a Facebook group yesterday to warn others about the scam. She wrote that they found a similar letter online.

The letter states:

I know about the secret you are keeping from your wife. More importantly, I have evidence of what you have been hiding. I won’t go into the specifics here in case your wife intercepts this, but you know what I am talking about. . .

It is just your bad luck that I stumbled across your misadventures while working a job around Southborough. I then put in more time than I probably should have looking into your life. . .

even if you decide to come clean with your wife, it won’t protect her from the humiliation she will feel when her friends and family find out your sordid details from me.

You can see the redacted letters below, by clicking thumbnails.* (For best results, wait until the page fully loads.)

Blackmail Scam letter page 1 (copied and redacted from Facebook) Blackmail Scam letter page 2 (copied and redacted from Facebook)

*(The resident redacted the address. For sharing on the blog, I also redacted the name of the man harrassed.)

1 Southboro92 October 30, 2017 at 1:30 PM

We got one of these too. Planned on bringing it to the police station – but I see others had the same idea. Thanks for the posting.

2 Dean Dairy October 30, 2017 at 2:34 PM

“We gotta do something… You know what we gotta do?… Toga party.”

3 Louise Barron November 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Great! Loved that movie

4 Rpalmer October 31, 2017 at 5:42 AM

I received one of these today. I live in Los Angeles. The letter was postmarked from Nashville, Tennessee.

5 Carl November 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Just received mine today as well. Live just outside of Chicago. Postmarked from Nashville also.

6 Madta November 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Showed up on October 27th at our home in New Hampshire. I could tell it was a scam right away. Also postmarked from Nashville TN.

Police might want to investigate a handful of folks that recently joined this group in Nashville.

7 Rpalmer November 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Judging from the writing style, I think they should investigate this guy: https://giphy.com/gifs/danny-mcbride-kenny-powers-fLZuZ9pXGkkX6

If it doesn’t turn out to be Kenny Powers than I’m pretty sure it’s a kid. Aside from overly muscular use of cliches, there’s no mention of informing co-workers or associates, only friends and family.

8 Fleming November 2, 2017 at 2:53 PM

I received this exact same letter too on Oct 27th. Also postmarked from Nashville. It’s hard to follow the logic of “I won’t go into specifics in case your wife intercepts this…” As if the wife won’t be concerned because there’s no mention of specifics… huh??

9 beth November 2, 2017 at 3:26 PM

There’s no need for specifics. YOU know what you did. (Obviously, I hope, just kidding.)

10 Dave Eargle November 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM

I posted about a similar letter about a year ago. I’ve had over two dozen people contact me in the past week saying they got the same letter as this. All postmarked Nashville, Tennessee 370, all sent on Oct 24th. Victims are all over the US. See my blog post here for an analysis: https://daveeargle.com/2016/10/24/I-received-a-blackmail-letter/

11 Tina November 3, 2017 at 7:23 PM

I received the same letter. I live in Vermont. Letter was postmarked Nashville.

12 D November 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Received one in Oklahoma today 11/20. Postmarked Nashville, TN 370… to
Stamp used. Bitcoin address:1HwxtTZZ6zQbXPolLTGNtJjN1dMVusWnRvW.

13 Mike November 21, 2017 at 3:44 PM

I received one 11/20 in Little Rock. Postmarked Nashville.

14 KH January 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Got one. Evansville Indiana post mark jan 2018

15 KH January 9, 2018 at 9:45 AM

3500 bitcoin

16 Grace January 13, 2018 at 2:06 PM

I’d like to know if all of us have anything in common and why we were the one to receive the letters. I am an investor in BitCoin, and thought these brokers weren’t able to be hacked, is this a common link we share??

17 Rpalmer January 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM

I’m not a bitcoin investor. but you’re right, we’re probably on some list of some sort that got hacked into and stolen.

18 BY January 26, 2018 at 5:00 PM

I got this same letter today. And I don’t have a bitcoin account either.

19 D January 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Not a bitcoin investor. It could be related to the Experian hack, a common restaurant, who knows.

20 Dave Eargle January 15, 2018 at 4:38 PM

There’s no personal information in the letters that couldn’t be obtained through using the same lists that junk mailers use. I think more recent targets could be based on income (of zip code) and/or profession. Companies like Equifax sell this data about us all the time. Look up “data brokers”.

21 Grace January 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Yes I’ve been using Equifax for years, they’re 2 types of people:
* those who have been hacked
* those who don’t realize they’ve been hacked yet!!

22 Anonymous January 26, 2018 at 2:20 AM

I wonder if this is related to the guy running 5smining that was trying to be elected, ironically as state representative of Tennessee. 5smining was a bitcoin cloud mining service. He shut down the site and stole all the bitcoin.

23 Bellevue, WA January 27, 2018 at 5:28 PM

I just got one: Bellevue, WA

24 D January 29, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Did your (and Anonymous’) letter look identical to the ones we received out of Nashville, TN back on 11/20/2017?

25 Dave Eargle January 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM

The recent letters are only slightly different, see my running analysis here: https://daveeargle.com/2016/10/24/I-received-a-blackmail-letter/

But it’s clearly based on the same template as the 11/20 Nashville wave

26 Anonymous January 29, 2018 at 12:20 PM

We received a letter in Kirkland, WA on January 27th too.

27 Anonymous February 15, 2018 at 5:43 PM

I received one in Fairfield, Connecticut today. It was postmarked 2/12/18 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

28 Tim February 17, 2018 at 2:24 PM

I got one today as well. Post marked February 12 from Greensborough N.C. Exact same language. Could it be from Equifax hack?

29 Tim February 17, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Ahhhhh….I just cracked the case. Since no one has called my by my full given first name since 4th grade-the fraudster is Sister Margaret Anne!!!