I’ve mentioned it before, but here’s your official save the date for the special town meeting this fall. It will be held on Tuesday, September 29 at 7:00 pm at Trottier, so get your babysitters lined up.
There are 15 articles on the warrant, several of them — like purchasing a new ladder truck — are quite meaty. You can find a draft copy of the warrant on the Southborough Advisory Committee website, but here’s a summary of some of the issues expected to come up at the meeting:
- Purchasing a new ladder truck for the Fire Department
- Report on options for a new police station (no vote)
- Increasing the dollar limit for the tax work-off program from $750 to $1000
- Adoption of MGL Ch. 32B § 18A for Medicare eligible retirees
- Greater enforcement abilities for the Building Inspector
- Undergrounding of utility lines on Main Street
- Purchasing a new police cruiser
- Increasing fees for dog and kennel licenses
- Amending the door-to-door solicitation bylaw
- Adopting a new bylaw about the public consumption of marijuana
- Moving the annual town meeting to the second Saturday in April, and other administrative town meeting procedures
We’ve already talked about some of these issues on the blog, but others like the marijuana bylaw, we haven’t gotten to yet. Expect more info in the run-up to town meeting. If there are any on this list you’re particularly interested in, let me know in the comments.
Ummm….What’s up with the new bylaw about the public consumption of marijuana?!? Medical or recreational usage?!?
There are enough problems on Latisquama due to underage drinking, particularly on the golf course.
NEWS FLASH: The back hill on St. Mark’s Golf Course is the Studio 54 of Southborough! Parents should know this already but if you don’t, ask your kids where they were on Saturday night…)
The prospect of drunk AND high teenagers puking on our lawns is not particularly appealing.
More information is needed on this one….
I thought we passed the purchase of a new police car?
Heather, the article would increase the fine for public possession of marijuana by $300 over and above the state-mandated minimum of $100. Interim Chief Moran meets with the Advisory Committee on this next week, so I’ll have more details after that. … And, I so didn’t know that about the hill at the GC.
Cam, the Police Department usually replaces two cruisers each year. In April voters approved funds for an SUV to replace one cruiser. This latest request is to replace a second cruiser. Selectmen have requested more info before they decide whether to support the article or not.
Thanks for the info Susan. I’m so glad to hear that the proposed bylaw for Southborough is stricter than the state mandate!
Perhaps at a time when we have asked town employees to take a pay cut, it might be prudent to ask the police department to defer the purchase of this car.