If there’s one thing I’ve learned as the author of this blog, it’s that there are a good number of you out there who are passionate about this town. You care about its fiscal health. You care about its schools. You care about the impact we as a collective have on the environment. You care about our future as a community.
It’s one thing to sit behind a keyboard and participate in the discussion, it’s another to sit in a meeting room and pledge yourself to the interests of the town. That’s exactly what you now have a chance to do. With the start of the fiscal year looming on July 1, Selectmen are actively looking for residents to fill vacancies on a number of committees.
At a board meeting earlier this month, selectmen talked about committee vacancies. “When I met with people (during my campaign), they expressed a lot of enthusiasm,” Selectman John Rooney said. “I would urge people to step up now and do the committee work.”
Here’s a list of all the openings. You can download a volunteer form (PDF) from the town website.
- Advisory Committee: 1 opening, 3-year term
- American with Disabilities Act Committee: 1 opening, 1-year term
- Capital Budget Committee: 2 openings, 3-year term
- Fence Viewer: 1 opening, 1-year term
- Field Driver: 1 opening, 1-year term
- Historical Commission: 3 openings, 3-year term
- Open Space Preservation Commission: 2 openings, 5-year term
- Phase II Stormwater Committee: 2 openings, 1-year term
- Recycling Committee: 1 opening, 1-year term
- Southborough Housing Opportunity Partnership Committee (SHOPC): 1 opening, 3-year term
- Southborough Stewardship Committee: 2 openings, 1-year term