Southborough Wicked Local posted news that the Board of Selectman delivered a cease and desist letter to former Selectman David Parry last week. The letter, written by Selectman Bill Boland, made two accusations. Parry is refuting both.
Boland wrote that a state agency informed him that Parry misrepresented himself to them. Parry allegedly called himself a selectman and city planner while requesting documents related to the Park Central 40B project.
The letter also charged Parry with making markings on Southborough Library property, related to the Main Street project, without authorization from the BOS “or their designee.” (Click here to see a copy of the letter, posted by SWL.)
SWL shared part of Parry’s response to the letter and a reaction from a Library representative:
In an email reply to Boland, Parry said the letter was delivered to his home by an “embarrassed” sergeant of the Southborough police department. Parry denied misrepresenting himself, saying that the identified himself as a former selectman who was running for selectman. He also said that the information he was seeking is public record.
Parry also wrote that he believed the Library Board of Trustees would be the proper board to ask for permission to mark up library property, and said he would do so in the future.
“It’s fine with me,” Library Trustee Chairwoman Jane Smith said Thursday. “We don’t have any problem with him staking it out. What’s to hide?
“As a citizen, I’d like to see the whole thing staked out, frankly,” she said, noting it would make things much easier to visualize.
Parry communicated directly with me about the article and accusations. He claimed to be astounded by the charges. He clarified that he hadn’t marked Library property. On Saturday, Parry wrote:
I did NOT insert any stakes into the Library property, because I did not yet have permission. In fact there are still no stakes on the Library property. Here I am, doing the right thing, the legal thing, by waiting to get permission before banging in the stakes, and in some perverse way I am portrayed as being guilty of some gigantic infraction!
SWL shared selectmen’s defense of their letter:
Wednesday night, Selectman John Rooney said he had seen and approved the letter before it was sent out. He said he believed using a police officer to deliver the message was a legitimate use of town resources because of the seriousness of the allegation.
“We wanted to get it into his hands as soon as possible,” Rooney said.
Boland said the board stands behind the letter despite Parry’s denials.
To read the full SWL story, click here.
“We wouldn’t have sent the letter out unless we were confident in what we were saying,” he said. He added that the board always sends hand-delivered letters either by police or constable.