This summer, libraries across the country will be trying to excite children about both reading and science. The Southborough Library is no exception.
Today, they are launching their Fizz! Boom! Read! summer reading program.
Children’s Librarian Kim Ivers already made the rounds at Southborough schools to spread the word. She invited children to register at the library and log their reading over the summer. And she issued some challenges.
First, she asked them to help her beat last year’s logged count of 4,223 books. Then she asked if they could help her get closer to 5,000 books.
To help peak kids’ interest, she bribed them to come to the library with the promised return of traveling “Library Ducks”, weekly raffles, trivia challenges, and searches for “hidden robots”.
Those activities begin today. There will also be plenty of special activities and events throughout the summer.
This week, the library will begin its weekly Pajama Story Times and host a magic show.
Here are the highlights for the summer. Mark your calendars.
Pajama Story Time:
Come to the library in your pajamas to hear stories! If weather permits, it will be held on the back lawn. So, bring blankets. (In inclement weather, it will be held in the Children’s Room.)
- Wednesday, June 25, 2014 @ 7:00 pm .
- Wednesday, July 02, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, July 09, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, July 16, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Thursday, July 24, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Thursday, July 31, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 06, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 13, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
Drop-In Craft Days:
Stop by the Children’s Room and make a craft project! (Parents/Caregivers need to stay with the children.)
- Thursday, July 03, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, July 08, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, July 15, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, July 22, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Wednesday, July 30, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Thursday, August 07, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, August 12, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
Legos at the Library:
Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. (Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.)
- Monday, July 14, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, July 29, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Monday, August 11, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Thursday, August 14, 2014 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Friday, June 27, 2014 (11:00 am) – Fun and Games Magic Show: Debbie O’Carroll will be helping the library kick off their Summer Reading Program. Children will learn about fitness through the art of stage magic. This fun-filled program is perfect for ages 4 to 12 and it reinforces the idea that exercise is good for you. (This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Library.) For more details, see the dedicated post
- Tuesday, July 01, 2014 (11:00 am) – Southborough Library Fourth of July Parade: Join the annual Fourth of July Parade to the Town House! Everyone is welcome to come for marching, music and snacks!
- Thursday, July 10, 2014 (2:30 pm) – Storyteller: Diane Edgecomb will be at the Library to share stories about “Water Wizards”. (This program is supported in part by a grant from the Southborough Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.)
- Thursday, July 17, 2014 (11:00 am) – Truck Day: Explore dump trucks, fire trucks & more! Stay for an ice cream treat!
- Wednesday, July 23, 2014 (2:30 pm) – Science Around You: Say Fun to Science! Children can learn about the “magic” behind science!
- Tuesday, August 05, 2014 (10:00 am) – Reptiles: The Museum of Science will bring reptiles to the Library! What reptiles will they bring? Come and find out!
- Friday, August 15, 2014 (11:00 am) – Science is Magic” Concert: We are wrapping up the Summer Reading with singer Rick Goldin! Come sing with us!