Southborough sets aside cash for legal battle with Northborough

by susan on June 28, 2010

At their town meeting this spring, Northborough voters allocated $100K for a battle with Southborough over the ongoing Algonquin reimbursement dispute. Last week, Southborough decided to set aside some cash of its own.

A week ago today, the Advisory Committee and Board of Selectmen met in a joint executive session to discuss strategy over the pending litigation with Northborough. They also voted to allocate some funds.

“Advisory Committee voted last night to transfer $50,000 from the Reserve Fund to the fund for special legal counsel, due to potential Northborough Southborough litigation,” Advisory Committee member John Butler wrote in an email after the meeting.

The Metrowest Daily News reports the next step is for the town to select a law firm to represent it.

(Selectman Bill Boland) said the process will begin once the town selects a law firm to represent them.

“Our attorney will come up to speed on the issue and will then advise us how we should proceed,” he said. “When Northborough (at Town Meeting) appropriated $100,000, it forced us to act.”

(Selectman John Rooney) said the town will choose an attorney by the time selectmen meet again on June 29.

You can read more in the MWDN.

Previous post:

Next post: