Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

by susan on August 21, 2012

Post image for Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

Above: Farm equipment at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

Time for another open thread. For those of you new to the blog, the open discussion thread is your place to ask questions, sound off on town issues, or share information with other readers. Here are some suggestions to get you started:

• Post a note about things that you’re selling or giving away, or things that you want
  • Share notices about upcoming events (Southborough or otherwise)
  • Register your thoughts on town issues or news stories
  • Point out interesting or helpful resources

You can add comments to the thread throughout the week. Check back often to see new comments. (If you read the blog via email or RSS, you might want to check the site from time to time for new comments.)

To view past open discussion threads, click here.

{ 12 comments }

1 Deborah Costine August 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I have noticed quite a “stash” of lotus flowers blooming in the little pond just north of route 9 on route 85 (on the west side of the road) I haven’t gotten out to take a closer look but find it quite interesting since lotuses are not a very common flower to see! (and I am sure they are not water lilies!)

2 Nancy V August 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Actually, I have been noticing the same thing so I did some research. I think they are water lilies, not lotus flowers. Lotus flower leaves stick out above the water line, while water liliy leaves float on the top of the water. Think of Monet’s famous water lily paintings. I was wondering if it is possible to get close enough to the area to take photos (without going for a unintentional swim!)

3 Nancy V August 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Okay, so I drove by that area again today and it looks like they actually might be lotus flowers. They had many leaves vertical and out of the water. It doesn’t help that I am drivng a car and far away when I am trying to look at them. Is there any way we can find out which they are?

4 Deborah Costine August 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM

HI Nancy, they seem to have those unique seed pods visible. Maybe I’ll get out and take a picture!

5 susan August 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

If you do, send it to me!

6 Nancy V August 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’d love to try to photograph them too. If you want to meet up, contact susan with your contact info and she can pass it along to me.

7 Deborah Costine August 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I did stop and climb over the guardrail to take pictures -they’re not worth sharing, but I did more research and yet – the flowers are “emergent” – blooming well above the surface of the water. Water lilies lie flat on the surface and lotuses are above the water. So, that points to “Lotus.”

8 Tedy August 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Does anyone know the status of the lots on Deerfoot near the back entrance of Trottier across from the dam? The signs indicate “Picardi” construction but I haven’t seen anything change in years.

9 M August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I believe that this is a personal residence. I don’t think there are lots for sale or construction planned. Just a home. Perhaps there is a business office there and the sign directs customers up the drive.

10 Mike Moore August 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’ve taken up trail running recently, and it seems like there are a lot of great trails here in Southborough and close by. However, I don’t often see other runners off-road. I’d be interested in connecting with other runners, sharing information about good trails and possibly coordinating for some longer runs on the weekends. Anybody out there interested? Are there any running organizations based in town or nearby, particularly groups that focus on off-road running?

11 Mark Fallon August 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Mike, I try and get out on trails when I can, but my business travel makes it tough to schedule times. You may want to join the Trail Animals Running Club (http://www.trailanimals.com). I’ve run several of their races, and met some nice people, including some from this area. Happy running!

12 Mike Moore August 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for the tip Mark, I’m running in TARCs fall classic. Maybe I’ll see you there.