Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

by beth on April 3, 2018

Post image for Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

Above:  Southborough is still looking a bit ragged from a rough March. But signs of spring were beginning to break through over the weekend before the snow. (photo by Cassie Melo)

It’s time for another open thread. What’s on your mind this week, Southborough?

For those of you new to the blog, the open discussion thread is your place to ask questions, sound off on town issues, or share information with other readers. Here are some suggestions to get you started:

• Post a note about things that you’re selling or giving away, or things that you want
  • Share notices about upcoming events (Southborough or otherwise)
  • Register your thoughts on town issues or news stories
  • Point out interesting or helpful resources

You can add comments to the thread throughout the week. Check back often to see new comments. (If you read the blog via email or RSS, you might want to check the site from time to time for new comments.)

To view past open discussion threads, click here.

1 Kim April 3, 2018 at 12:26 PM

I know this question was asked in the last open thread, but I’m still curious about the work going on at the corner of Newton Street and Main…Will we soon have a new business downtown?

2 Sean April 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM

As far as I heard, they are simply prepping a staging area for pending Main St. work. i could be entirely wrong, but hear it from a reliable source. I would love for something to get there after the work is done though. Maybe a cafe? Anything really.

3 beth April 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM

It looks like they are finally following through on old approved plans for a small office building with parking.

Following up on the owner’s extension request to the Conservation Commission last week, I got an update from the Cons. Commissioner today. They received a year extension on their Order of Conditions approval that was about to expire. They will need a new septic permit and they’ll need to go to Planning for Site Plan approval. I’m waiting for updates on whether there’s been any action on either of those yet.

Here’s what I learned from Beth Rosenblum:

In April 2005, the Conservation Commission approved an Order of Conditions permit for the development of a small office building and associated parking area at the 2 E. Main St. site. The majority of the 0.45-acre site is within the 100-foot Buffer Zone to Bordering Vegetated Wetland, which required any proposed development on the property to be reviewed and approved by the Conservation Commission. Some site work has commenced on the site under the existing permit approval. The Board of Health also approved a septic permit in 2005.

Since then, the Order of Conditions has been extended by the Conservation Commission a number of times per the request of the property owner due to challenging economic factors, and the permit is currently due to expire on April 12, 2018. The property owner asked the Conservation Commission to extend the permit for one additional year, which they voted to approve at last week’s meeting.

According to the property owner, the septic permit has expired and will need to be re-applied for. The project will also need Site Plan approval from the Planning Board. Conservation Commission approval was limited to earth work, stormwater management, drainage improvements, removal of invasive vegetation, location of septic, and landscaping. Details on the building design or use are outside the jurisdiction of the Conservation Commission.

4 Rachel April 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Has any information been posted about the Junior Police Academy?

5 beth April 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Not yet. I asked for an update on when we can expect that, but that usually isn’t announced until June. I’ll definitely let you know if I hear anything sooner. (But if you want to enroll yourself in their adult Citizen’s Police Academy, I just posted about the one being offered this spring!)

6 beth April 4, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Apparently, last year too few applied to make the academy viable. (A shock to me.) So, this year, they are trying to coordinate a joint effort with Hopkinton. They will update me, and I will update readers, when they have this year’s plans worked out.

7 Peter Goodney April 6, 2018 at 10:14 PM

See the following

Westborough, Southborough and Northborough Police are joining their efforts July 30th -August 3rd, in Westborough at the Gibbons School. Cost is $50.

8 John Kendall April 4, 2018 at 7:18 PM

As a retired Southborough firefighter, I want to commend our fire department on a job well done. In the early hours of Saturday, March 31, my neighbors Bill and Cheryl Kane suffered a devastating fire in their home at 9 Cottage Street. With only 5 firefighters on duty, Captain Sadowski ordered first and second alarm responses immediately. The on duty personnel were able to hold their ground until off duty firefighters as well as mutual aid companies arrived. Mrs. Kane was evaluated by Firefighter/Paramedic Jason Roach, and was transported for burns and smoke inhalation. The fire was finally extinguished, and Mrs Kane was released from the hospital to be with her family. Our firefighters did an outstanding job of preventing further damage, as well as protecting my next door neighbors garage. At the same time they provided much needed immediate medical care. The Kane family is working on the reality of their home, as well as the loss of their pets. The one big story here is that their smoke detectors activated, and prevented a disaster. Remember: WORKING SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES!

9 cindy April 5, 2018 at 9:05 AM

Does anyone know what is going on the parking lot at Fitzgeralds? I heard they were going to have extra parking for the train station and people would be able to pay through Fitzy’s rather than the town lot (which is ALWAYS filled). It seems to be at a standstill.

10 beth April 5, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Good question. The most recent record I could find was from minutes of a discussion at the Planning Board’s October 16th meeting.

Town Planner Karina Quinn updated to the board in October that she had a meeting with the owner and the Conservation admin to discuss outstanding items before construction. The special permit expired October 13th and the extension was expiring in November. She advised told the owner that he would need to reapply to the Planning Board for permits.

11 Southviller April 13, 2018 at 7:50 PM

Am I out of the loop on Fayville Park, or has it not opened yet? I’m not sure I’ve heard anything about progress recently, obviously the winter months don’t allow for much. I don’t need to ever drive past if we’re not stopping there, so I haven’t seen it in a bit. Anyone know?

12 Sean April 16, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Still not done. Last update I heard was early May, but it’s already been delayed a couple times I believe and their last update mentioned that this is all contingent on weather on the weekend. The rate weather is going lately, who knows.