Police respond to bathroom stall “message” at Trottier

by beth on May 31, 2018

This morning, police responded to a “scrawled” message on another bathroom stall. The text isn’t shared – but, between the lines, it was treated as a potential threat. The incident came less than a day after a message about a school shooting was found in an Algonquin stall referencing today’s date.

According to a press release, the Southborough Police Department upped their “visable presence” at all Southborough schools:

Today, at approximately 10:15 A.M., Detectives from the Southborough Police Department responded to the Trottier Middle School to investigate a report of a concerning message scrawled on a bathroom door sometime in the morning hours. An investigation into the origin of the message is ongoing. The SPD is also aware of similar incident which took place at Algonquin Regional High School yesterday in Northborough.

Command Staff and School Resource Officers of both police departments, and the Superintendent’s Office, are in constant contact. It was determined that no disruption in today’s school schedule in Southborough was warranted based on the information currently available in either incident. An increased visible presence will be incorporated at all Southborough schools to alleviate any concerns.

The public will be updated should any changes or further information becomes available. Anyone with information in either incident should contact the Southborough Police Department at (508) 485-2121.

1 Louise Barron May 31, 2018 at 11:03 PM

The message scrawled on a bathroom stall at Trottier is considered a “potential threat”.
As a parent, I want to know what was written, on the stall walls, so I can determine for myself, how much a threat this is. Here’s a warning that the school department must now gear themselves for the next step, which I hope they have in place. Not just police presence driving around. We need, individuals who know how and when to use a weapon and boots on the ground. These individuals must have a presence full time at all our schools. Metal detectors, although there are pitfalls with them, should be part of the whole safety program at our schools as well. Yes, schools may become fortresses, but they may be safe fortresses

2 D. McGee June 1, 2018 at 11:12 AM

LOL!!

Oh wait…you’re serious. That is…at least until the taxes are increased to pay for an armed force in our schools. Then you’ll be the first to complain about paying for it. And at least until there is a catastrophe involving one of the armed “boots on the ground”. Then you’ll be the first to ask “who’s moronic idea WAS this?”

I love when the answer for stopping senseless gun violence is more guns. I wonder if my children will ever see a country that takes it cues from our far more civil allies in Europe and Asia? Data doesn’t lie:

Gun Deaths per 10,000:

Japan: 0.06
South Korea: 0.08
UK: 0.23
India: 0.28
Spain: 062
Ireland: 0.80
Germany: 1.01
Australia: 1.04
U.S.: 11.96 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our answer? More guns! What a time we live in.

3 Southern Breeze June 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Ah. I see that you are skewing the “facts” to your argument. At least publish truth and sources. Those numbers are per 100,000 and not 10,000. Source you used:

Then you are padding the numbers including all deaths by firearms and not only Homicides. That list would look like this:

Homicides per 100,000:

Japan: 0
South Korea: .02
UK: .06
India: .3
Spain: .15
Ireland: .25
Germany: .07
Australia: .18
U.S.: 4.62

4 D. McGee June 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM

OK….point is the same. What’s yours?

5 Statistics June 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM

You realize that with your revised data that the US is 18x higher than the next country. In the original post it was only 11.5x.

It’s worse statistically in your breakdown.

6 Former Resident June 2, 2018 at 7:46 AM

I have worked in schools for many years. Prevention of these tragedies is long overdue. We need security. Armed police officers and metal detectors are the answer. At the same time we need to support the students with mental health issues. Everything comes with a price. We cannot put a price on life.

7 Mark Fallon June 2, 2018 at 7:49 AM

Thank you for the update Southern Breeze. That means we don’t have 11 times the number of homicides by guns as Australia, but 25 times that number.

8 Mike Fuse June 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM

I continue to ask beth why you allow people who are not from Southboro to contribute to your blog? My second comment is we have replced Bibles from public schools (1963) with guns, we put muslim prayer rooms in across the country ( not Southboro but other school districts) and now we have a continuously spiraling down behavior in our schools and in our country!

9 JOJAMA June 4, 2018 at 8:55 AM

SPEECHLESS!

10 beth June 4, 2018 at 9:31 AM

First, I’ll say I’m not sure who you are referring to – but if it’s someone anonymous, it’s not our business who it is unless that person is inappropriately masking a link to a story. (An example would be defending a board without revealing he/she is a member of it.)

Beyond that, there are non-residents who read the blog because they are connected to our community in some way. That includes people who have relocated but still have ties and consider it their hometown and others who work here. I don’t know why you have a problem with them commenting. I don’t. And I’m not about to police commenters based on whether they live here or not.

11 Karen Muggeridge June 4, 2018 at 10:27 AM

While the comment above seems consistent with those made by a frequent commenter on this blog, (who I rarely agree with), people don’t often misspell their own names. In fairness, I do hope that such an offensive comment is not made by someone trying to pass as someone else and that it is an innocent typing mistake. I make them al the tim.

12 D. McGee June 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM

I’d much rather read replies from non-Southborough residents than from blatant and unapologetic racists.

I can’t wait until 2020 when the racists who have been emboldened by Trump must crawl back under their rocks.

13 Frank Crowell June 4, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Those racists must be angry/emoboldened at the lowest minority unemployment in decades.

I can’t wait to see who the Dems nominate in 2020. Anyone to the right of Bernie probably will not be accepted. Currently no one is to the left of Bernie, but we should give this some time.

14 Matthew Brownell June 5, 2018 at 8:05 AM

And Bingo!!!

“D. McGee” pulls out the tattered, worn race-baiting card. . . a tiresome and lazy fallback that career Democrats and Leftist Loons have been dumping from their Pavlovian PEZ-dispenser for 60+ years.

I guess, D. McGee, you missed the memo. That tired dog named “Racist” ain’t hunting anymore.

15 Mike Fuce June 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM

There is nothing racist in what I wrote, just three concise facts. If being racist is producing facts, that does seem consistent with those who are truly bigoted because they are offended by truth and led by lies or at least hypothesis theories. Thank you Beth for your informative response to my “out of town” question. And to Muggeridge, to the most casual observer, it was a spelling error. Thank you.

16 Eileen June 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM

It was a provocative and prejudiced comment which added nothing edifying or helpful.

There are members of our community of many varied religious and ethnic backgrounds, so your comment was also alienating.

17 n June 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Is the correct interpretation of your comment that “continuously spiraling down behavior in our schools and in our country” is due to having “replced Bibles from public schools (1963) with guns” and that “we put muslim prayer rooms in across the country”?

18 n June 5, 2018 at 9:53 AM

“If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.”

– President Donald J. Trump

19 Rebecca Deans- Rowe June 3, 2018 at 3:48 PM

So the US has a rate of gun homocides that is 66 times higher than Germany, and you don’t see a problem here?

20 Mike fuse June 5, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Rebecca — Germany has 600% more ( they are called immigrants in Deutschland) violence on women then America. I would rather have my daughters carrying a small handgun to protect themselves and be safe. Get our American children off of ADD drugs and off of their machines and outside playing and I think we will see immediate positive turnaround. Like I have said in previous posts, just 30 years ago we carried our .22 rifles on the school bus to school to fire in our Rifle Club ( Nashoba Regional high school, 1972 to 1976 check it out for yourself, maybe Algonquin had something similar? ). There were zero incidences of handgun or rifle violence. I’m not being judgemental or mean it’s the truth. Have a nice day.

21 Statistics June 5, 2018 at 11:54 AM

How do you go from a reasonable question about the clear and well documented link between gun control and gun violence rates to immigrants and violence against women? There’s no logical reason to go there unless you A) want to use fear instead of reason to influence the argument and B) are prejudice.

What statistics are you using? Rapes, murders and violent crime are all higher in the US as compared to Germany. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Germany/United-States/Crime).

22 Kelly Roney June 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Has anyone else thought that Massachusetts’ effective gun control – including mandates to keep your guns locked up and therefore out of the hands of children – kept these incidents from being real threats and made them only potential threats?

23 Eileen June 5, 2018 at 1:17 PM

24 Louise Barron June 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM

Hold your horses people. Now you’re talking about racists. Yikes! How did this spiral downward so. Calm down please.To be clear. I believe we have an obligation to step up security in all our schools. Yes, I support paying for this, over foolish over priced rec. fields. It is, of course a matter of priority. What could take precedence over this.

25 djd66 June 5, 2018 at 5:44 PM

Please explain Louise – what about a rec field is foolish?