Southborough Police Chief Kenneth Paulhus confirmed for me that the department’s published police logs filter out calls related to domestic disturbance issues.
The change came after a state law was passed this summer. This weekend, Wicked Local posted:
The domestic violence legislation package, passed by the House and Senate on the final night of the formal session and signed into law Aug. 8, made sweeping changes in the way police and the courts handle domestic violence cases. Among them was a provision that required police departments to omit from their publicly accessible logs any arrests on domestic violence charges or any mention of responses to domestic violence incidents. The provision is intended to prevent the identification of domestic violence victims and make them feel more comfortable reporting abuse to the police, according to advocates of the law.
It went on to state statistics about omitted crimes from Metrowest logs in the past 30 days. The article called out the SPD as being the only department across the Metrowest and Milford not to provide the requested records. (Click here to read the full story.)
When I spoke with Paulhus on the story, he took blame for the oversight. The chief explained that he had put aside the request that in the midst of switching over their reporting system. Later, he missed the follow up voicemail from the reporter.
As for the requested statistics for those 30 days, 24 arrests were made including 1 for domestic violence. There was also a call on a domestic issue that didn’t end in arrest.
Below are the department’s latest logs:
Wednesday, October 1, 2014:
- 0140 hrs- Disabled MV- Services Rendered: Turnpike Rd
- 0241 hrs- Alarm, Burglar- Building Checked/Secured: Turnpike Rd
- 0557 hrs- Disabled MV- Vehicle Towed: Cordaville Rd
- 0739 hrs- 9-1-1 Abandoned- Services Rendered: Newton St
- 0755 hrs- Traffic Control- No Action Required: Parkerville Rd
- 0804 hrs- Traffic Control- Citation/Warning Issued: Main St
- 0846 hrs- Community Police Services- Services Rendered: Turnpike Rd
- 0854 hrs- Alarm, Burglar- Services Rendered: Northboro Rd
- 0920 hrs- Department Business- No Action Required
- 0934 hrs- Alarm, Hold-Up- Services Rendered: Cordaville Rd
- 0947 hrs- Community Police Services- Services Rendered: Cordaville Rd
- 1020 hrs- General Info- No Action Required
- 1057 hrs- MVA Unknown Injury- Services Rendered: Johnson Rd
- 1822 hrs- Community Police Services- No Action Required: Turnpike Rd
- 1920 hrs- MVA with Injuries- Report Taken: Main St + Cordaville Rd
Thursday, October 2, 2014:
- 0704 hrs- MVA Unknown Injury- No Action Required: Northboro Rd
- 0705 hrs- MVA with Injuries- Services Rendered: Fisher Rd
- 0706 hrs- Suspicious Activity- Services Rendered: Parkerville Rd. Black Toyota Camry Pulled into the RP’s Driveway. the Vehicle Left Shortly After the Phone Call to Police Was Made.
- 0838 hrs- Traffic Control- No Action Required: Parkerville Rd
- 0908 hrs- MVA Unknown Injury- Services Rendered: Boston Rd + Meadow Ln
- 0937 hrs- Lost and Found- Services Rendered: Cordaville Rd
- 1014 hrs- Complaint- Services Rendered: Main St. an Officer Investigated a Parking Complaint on Main Street.
- 1150 hrs- Complaint- Services Rendered: Boston Rd. RP Would Like an Unwanted Party Removed from the Residence.
- 1428 hrs- Disabled MV- Services Rendered: Turnpike Rd + Cordaville Rd
- 1449 hrs- Suspicious Activity- Unfounded- Vicinity Of: Breakneck Hill Rd + Woodland Rd
- 1546 hrs- Disabled MV- Services Rendered: Turnpike Rd
- 2107 hrs- Alarm, Burglar- Building Checked/Secured: Barn Ln
Friday, October 3, 2014:
- 0225 hrs- Disabled MV- No Action Required: Turnpike Rd
- 0256 hrs- Medical- Services Rendered: Wolfpen Ln
- 0905 hrs- Alarm, Burglar- False Alarm: Turnpike Rd
- 1317 hrs- Disabled MV- Services Rendered: Boston Rd
- 1637 hrs- Community Police Services- Services Rendered: Main St
- 1813 hrs- Community Police Services- No Action Required: Turnpike Rd
- 2205 hrs- General Info- Taken/Referred to Other
Saturday, October 4, 2014:
- 0916 hrs- Assist Other Agency- No Action Required: Route 495
- 1028 hrs- MVA Unknown Injury- Report Taken: Sears Rd + Marlboro Rd
- 1301 hrs- Animal Complaint- No Action Required: Foley Dr
- 1358 hrs- Vandalism- Services Rendered: Boston Rd. A Lock Was Ripped from a Secured Door.
- 1908 hrs- General Request- Unfounded: Turnpike Rd. a Caller Reported an Erratic Operator on Turnpike Road. Responding Units Reported Back Negative Findings in the Area.
- 2018 hrs- General Request- Unfounded: Valley Rd. Rp Reports Hearing Loud Bangs (Possibly Gunshots) in the Area. Responding Officers Reported Back Negative Findings.
Sunday, October 5, 2014:
- 0745 hrs- Traffic Control- Citation/Warning Issued: Framingham Rd
- 1445 hrs- Car Seat Installation- Services Rendered: Main St
- 1831 hrs- Alarm, Burglar- Services Rendered: Parkerville Rd
- 1946 hrs- Medical- Services Rendered: Boston Rd
To view past Police Logs, click here.