Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Monday, January 8, 2018
- Caregivers Support Group (10:30 am – 11:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A Support Group for caregivers of a loved one with dementia will take place the 2nd Monday of the month from 10:30 to 12:00. This is a time to meet with other caregivers, where you can share, listen, learn and offer and receive support. If you are interested in attending, please register at the front desk or by calling 508-229-4453.
- Free Throw Championship (6:00 – 7:30 pm) @ Trottier Middle School Gym: The Knights of Columbus will be holding their annual free-throw competition. 9-14 year-old boys and girls will compete by age group and gender. For details, see dedicated post.
Tuesday, January 9, 2018
- Info session on Municipal Aggregation Plan for electrical supply (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: An informational meeting to help senior residents/property owners decide whether or not to opt out of the default change in electrical supplier. Lunch will be provided. For details, see dedicated post.
- Knitting Club (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Monthly meeting of the knitting/crocheting club hosted by the Senior Center. Drop in to join them.
- Info session on Municipal Aggregation Plan for electrical supply (7:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: An informational meeting to help residents/property owners decide whether or not to opt out of the default change in electrical supplier. This session will be broadcast by Southborough Access Media. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
- Senior Book Club (10:00 am – 11:00 am) @ The Southborough Senior Center: Monthly meeting of the Senior Center’s book club.
- Senior Center early closing (11:00 am – 11:00 am) @ The Southborough Senior Center: The center is closed for the afternoon to allow for the offsite holiday party.
- Senior Holiday party (12:00 – 2:00 pm) @ The Warren Center Conference Center, 529 Chestnut Street, Ashland: Pre-registration is required for the dinner, which is for Members of Friends of the Council of the Aging only with priority to Southborough residents. For details, see dedicated post.
Thursday, January 11, 2018
- Snowshowing or Hike for seniors (1:00 – 2:30 pm) @ carpooling from Southborough Senior Center: Snowshoe or hike on Bay Circuit Trail South of Southborough. A program run by the Southborough Senior Center’s Trailblazers. All are welcome but pre-registration is requested. For details, see dedicated post.
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
Friday, January 12, 2018
- Movie matinee for seniors (12:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free screening of the comedy My Cousin Vinny starring Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei (who won an Oscar for her role). Two New Yorkers are wrongly accused of murder in rural Alabama while on their way back to college, and one of their cousins – an inexperienced, loud mouth lawyer – comes in to defend them. This movie is rated R. The room opens at 11:15 for lunch. You can bring your own or get the Cafe lunch for suggested donation of $3 – Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup, dessert, and a drink. Please sign up at the front desk, 508-229-4453.
Saturday, January 13, 2018
- Boy Scout Troop 1 Annual Christmas Tree Removal (9:00 am) @ Your driveway: Delayed from last weekend due to weather. Pre-registration required. To have your Christmas Tree removed for $10, see details in dedicated post.
Sunday, January 14, 2018
- Winter Warmers concert (3:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church: Assabet Valley Chambersingers free performance for the public. The public is invited to a free concert with music ranging from “sublime” to “silly”. Stay tuned for a detailed post.
Updated (1/8/18 2:40 pm): I just learned about the concert on Sunday. I’ll share more details in a post tomorrow morning.