Algonquin Gymnastics’ meet vs. Medway on Saturday added one more win to the team’s 6-0 record this winter. The Telegram ran another story on the undefeated team’s “chill” attitude this season. The article reveals that I can’t keep referring to the gymnasts as girls:
[Coach Jordan McStay] said she was very pleased with this year’s addition of two boys, sophomores Luke Tegan and Max Hanna.
“Max joined us as a manager halfway through the season last year, not realizing he could actually compete with the team,” she said. “Then he began working out with us in practices. And Luke joined us this year and has been very strong for us on the vault.”
Of course, the team’s best known member is last year’s state all-around champ, sophomore Lizzy Debroczy:
“Lizzy is just amazing,” McStay said. “She came back this year with four or five brand new skills, and she’s doing them flawlessly. But the thing that amazes me the most about her is that as good as she is, it doesn’t get to her head. She has remained so team-oriented. She wants all her teammates to do well.”
You can read more here.
Only one other T-Hawks team can claim undefeated status – Girls Swim/Dive. But the Gonk Boys Swim/Dive team is also close. Three more wins last week brought their record to 6-1. Photographer Jeff Slovin tweeted a link to pics from Saturday’s meet:
Those Gonk swimmers are a wild and crazy bunch. Photos from meet vs Shrewsbury: https://t.co/eNHPknKTB9 pic.twitter.com/1iSCyEEdzJ
— Jeff Slovin Photo (@JeffSlovinPhoto) January 11, 2020
Wicked Local covered the Boys’ Sunday meet:
In a meet that was not decided until the final event, the Algonquin boys swim and dive team defeated Westborough on Sunday at Boroughs Family Branch YMCA in Westborough.
The 400-relay team of freshman Jason Wong, senior co-captain James Carroll as well as junior twins Will and Brandon Saulnier combined to defeat the Rangers by three seconds to win the meet 89-81.
“The place was going crazy,” said Algonquin coach Jean Fedak of the meet’s last race. “It was wild. They were screaming, they were yelling.” (read more)
The three other teams with winning records had an uneven week. Boys Basketball won and lost last games week, bringing its record to 5-2. The Harbinger posted pics from Saturday’s win to instagram:
Wrestling scored three more wins, a tie and loss, bringing their record to 5-2-2. And Girls Ice Hockey scored a tie and two wins, bringing its record to 4-1-2.
According to tweets (like the one below), ARHS player Amy MacGlashing scored her 100th Ice Hockey career point at the Concord-Carlisle game on Wednesday:
.@THawksHockey with the 7-0 win over C-C. 100 career points for Amy! Photos: https://t.co/WFp3gmLv0p pic.twitter.com/4PTAQBhQMZ
— Jeff Slovin Photo (@JeffSlovinPhoto) January 9, 2020
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for the week.
(To find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)
Monday, January 13, 2020
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Ice Hockey vs. Framingham @ New England Sports Center
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
- 5:30 pm – ARHS Girls Basketball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
- 5:30 pm – ARHS Girls Swimming/Diving vs. Tyngsborough @ Greater Lowell Tech
- 5:30 pm – ARHS Boys Swimming/Diving vs. Tyngsborough @ Greater Lowell Tech
- 7:00 pm – ARHS Boys Basketball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Indoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Shrewsbury
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Indoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Shrewsbury
- 7:00 pm – ARHS Boys Ice Hockey vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Groton School
Thursday, January 16, 2020
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Girls Alpine Ski vs. Race TBA vs. TBA @ Ski Ward Ski Area
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Alpine Ski vs. Race TBA vs. TBA @ Ski Ward Ski Area (SL Race)
- 4:30 pm – ARHS Girls Swimming/Diving vs. Advanced Math & Science Acad. Charter @ College of the Holy Cross
- 4:30 pm – ARHS Boys Swimming/Diving vs. Advanced Math & Science Acad. Charter @ College of the Holy Cross
Friday, January 17, 2020
- 7:00 pm – ARHS Girls Basketball vs. Notre Dame Academy – Worcester @ Algonquin
- 7:00 pm – ARHS Boys Basketball vs. St. John’s @ St John’s
Saturday, January 18, 2020
- TBD – ARHS Girls Indoor Track Invitational @ Providence Career and Technical Academy
- 10:00 am – ARHS Wrestling Quad vs. Multiple Schools @ Algonquin
- 1:30 pm – ARHS Gymnastics vs. Hudson Public Schools @ Hudson High School, 69 Brigham St., Hudson
- 6:00 pm – ARHS Boys Ice Hockey vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ North Star Rink
- 8:00 pm – ARHS Girls Ice Hockey vs. Leominster @ New England Sports Center
Sunday, January 19, 2020
- 9:00am ARHS Boys Indoor Track Relays vs. TBA @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 1:10 pm – ARHS Girls Ice Hockey vs. St. Peter-Marian @ New England Sports Center
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated (1/14/20 8:32 am): I inserted Wicked Local’s coverage of the Boys swim team. (And I fixed a typo referring to three teams as “tree teams”!)
Updated (1/21/20 3:37 pm): Initially, I wrote that Gymnastics was the only T-Hawks teams that could claim undefeated status. I missed that Girls Swim/Dive was also undefeated in official season competitions.