MWDN: Stolen car leads to a police chase, dog bite and an arrest, with another person on the run

The report of a car stolen in Ashland this week led to a police chase involving Southborough Police. Here are highlights from the Metrowest Daily News article:

The incident began at 7:05 a.m. Monday when a Shore Road resident called police and said their Jeep Cherokee had been stolen sometime overnight. They had left the keys in the vehicle and the last time they saw it was 7 p.m. Sunday.

However, the car had a built-in tracking device, and the Jeep “pinged” in Worcester. . . 

Later, at about 9:30 a.m., the tracking company found the Jeep driving on Rte. 9 in Southborough and heading into Ashland. Police spotted the vehicle on Raymond Marchetti Street and attempted to pull it over.

“A very short pursuit was initiated, but due to the high speeds, the officer canceled the pursuit,” said [Ashland’s acting Police Chief Richard Briggs]. “We did not want to put the officer’s well-being or the well-being of the public in jeopardy.”

The Jeep hit speeds of 80 mph as it crossed into Framingham, the chief said.

According to the story, the car drove from Framingham to Shrewsbury, then Route 9 East through Westborough where a police officer spotted it near Computer Drive:

“He put his blue lights on and the car immediately accelerated, hitting an estimated 100 mph,” Hallice said.

The officer never pursued the Jeep due to the speed and lost sight of it as it traveled into Southborough, Hallice said.

At some point, the Jeep returned to Ashland, where officers found it parked on Stony Brook Drive. A tire had blown, and it was down to a rim, Briggs said.

“We started getting a number of calls from residents saying there were two men running through several backyards, jumping fences, running in and out of the tree line,” Briggs said.

Ashland and Southborough officers initially set up a perimeter to search for the suspects, while police dogs were brought in. Ultimately, a suspect was tracked to a shed and a dog sent in when he refused to come out. The suspect is reported to have suffered a bite wound. He was arrested while another suspect apparently eluded police. 

You can read more of the details here.

  • © 2024 — All rights reserved.