Tomorrow is sign up day for September & October programs through the Southborough Senior Center. Here are the highlights on their planned bus trips, lunches, and special programs.
The registration window for all of the Senior Center programs opens 10:00 am on Friday, September 2nd.
Remember, you must connect with a staff member (not voicemail) to register for all programs. The phone number is 508-229-4453. You can find more details on the below programs and registration policies in the newsletter here.
The Center is organizing two bus trips for early fall, each with a suggested donation of $20.
- Friday, September 30th – Museum of Science (with Planetarium Show)
- Friday, October 28th – Old Mill Restaurant in Westminster (followed by Bolton Orchards)
Below are some photos shared by the Senior Center from their most recent bus trip to the WooSox:
Special Lunches and Entertainment at the Center:
The Center is holding a series of lunches on Wednesday afternoons at noon, with a suggested donation of $6 and pre-registration required.
All of these are during or followed by an activity. Those include special Nature programs and free movie matinees. (For the matinees, there is the option of bringing your own lunch or coming at 12:30 pm to enjoy just the movie.)
- September 14th – prior to Movie Matinee “Downton Abbey – A New Era”
- September 21st – during Nature Program by Joy Marzolf on “Leaping Lizards”
- September 28th – chatting with members of the Southborough Fire Dept
- October 5th – during Nature Program by Joy Marzolf on “Backyard Mammals”
- October 12th – prior to Movie Matinee “Hocus Pocus”
One lunch, which doesn’t fall on a Wednesday, is a free one:
- Tuesday, October 25th – prior to Adult Coloring
Two special events at the Center are typically popular ones. Pre-registration is required for each.
As usual, the Center is offering a seasonal floral decoration program with Tina Bemis. This time it’s to make a “Corn Stalk Gnome” on Friday, October 14th at 1:00 pm. (Suggested donation of $20.)
Bingo is back with fun, prizes, and snacks on Wednesday, October 26th at 1:00 pm.
Health and Help
Programs to support seniors include returning ones and a special 6-week class.
- A Matter of Balance: Balance and Fall Prevention classes – Monday’s, September 12th – October 24th, from 1:00 – 2:00 pm. (Suggested donation of $25).
- Technology Help – Tuesdays, September 13th & October 11th (sign up for a one hour time slot with a professional specialist)
- Bereavement Support Group – Mondays. September 19th & October 17th from 1:00 – 2:00 pm. (This one doesn’t have limited space, but you are encouraged to sign up before attending.)
Exercise Classes and Regular Activities
It’s time to sign back up for the weekly/semi-weekly exercise classes with a suggested donation of $3 per class. (The newsletter notes that you may be eligible for reimbursement of the fees from your health insurance.)
This fall’s schedule is:
- Stretch Break on Mondays at 10:15 am with Sharon Gallant
- Strength on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 8:30 am with Sharon Gallant
- Chair Yoga on Thursdays (no class 9/1) at 12:30 pm with Rebecca Reber
- Advanced Tai Chi on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9:45 am with Jeanne Friswell
- Yoga on Tuesdays (starting 10/4) at 9:30 am (at Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St) with Michelle Landes
There is no need to sign up for the regular, free drop-in programs which include the Walking Groups, card games, billiards, Senior Songsters, the Dull Men’s Club, and more.
Speaking of the Dull Men’s Club, members hosted a gathering with dull men from Pembroke, Northborough, Sterling and Andover this summer. Member Bill Harrington shared that over 50 men gathered to enjoy the BBQ prepared by Southborough members, a Corn Hole competition, and camaraderie.
The club, which meets Friday, is always accepting new members.
For more details on all of the programs and other Senior Center news, tips, and resources, click here.