Northborough’s Applefest opens this Friday, September 16th.* The Town is promoting a slew of activities through Sunday, September 19th.
I don’t share news of most neighboring town’s activities, but I make an exception for Northborough’s big annual festival. Due to our shared school district and youth sports programs, a lot of high school students and youth teams have ties to Applefest events and fundraisers.
Northborough’s three day event combines their version of Southborough’s Summer Nights and Heritage Day, and then some. Just about every community organization in their town takes part.
Northborough Education Foundation holds its Annual Gala as part of the festival, “Cocktails and Dancing Under the Stars”. The fundraiser supports NEF grants for Northborough K-8 schools and Algonquin Regional High School. For details or to register, click here.
The festival website promotes the main attraction as the Saturday night BBQ (5:00 – 9:00 pm) on Algonquin Regional’s athletic fields, with pony rides, face painting, inflatables, music and more – capped off by fireworks. ARHS’ Robotics team will let kids try out some of their fun devices. (Activities are free, but there is a $10 parking fee.)
The full schedule is below with links to more details on each event.
Friday, September 16, 2022
- Vinny the Bubble Guy – 10 am at Ellsworth McAfee Park sponsored by Applefest Committee.
- Desert Bake-off – 10 am at Northborough Senior Center sponsored by Friends of the Senior Center.
- Senior Luncheon – 12 noon. Enjoy a delicious lunch sponsored by Northborough Senior Center.
- Northborough Friends of the Library Book Sale – 12 noon – 5:00 pm, Saturday, 9:30 – 3:00 pm at Northborough Free Library Meeting Room. Sponsored by Friends of the Northborough Free Library.
- NEF’s Applefest Gala – 7:30 pm – 11:30 pm at Juniper Hills. Cocktails and Dancing sponsored by Education Foundation. (Northborough Education Foundation’s grants support Northborough’s public schools, including Algonquin Regional High School.)
Saturday, September 17, 2022
- 5K Road Race – Registration begins 8 am/Race at 9 am at Melican Middle School sponsored by BC4T.
- Bike Rodeo – 10 – 2 pm at 211 Main St. Bring your bike, helmet and parent. Test your new skills on our new rodeo course! Sponsored by Northborough Police Department.
- Trinity Church Fun Day – 10 – 4 pm at Trinity Church, 23 Main St. Craft Fair, Café, Live Music by Mic, Thrift Shop Quilt and Basket Raffle. Sponsored by Trinity Church.
- Street Fair – 9 – 4 pm at Blake Street. Crafts, Vendors, Local Businesses and Community Groups, Food and Music. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Northborough.
- Farmers Market – 10 – 3 PM with 21 Vendors and Music provided by Carly Lara at the Town Common.
- American Legion Chicken BBQ – 4 – 6 PM American Legion, 402 West Main. Sponsored by American Legion Post 234.
- Fire Dept Open House – 10 – 2 pm on 11 Pierce Street. Stop by for a Fire Hat and Thank our Fire Fighters and EMT’s. Sponsored by Northborough Fire Department.
- Kid’s Art Workshop – 3:30 or 4:30 and Sunday 11 – 1:30 pm at 10 Main Street. Sponsored by Sheryl’s Art Studio. Please note that this is a RSVP only event. Please contact Sheryl to reserve a seat.
- Art & Bloom – 12 – 4 pm at 52 Main St. Sponsored by Northborough Garden Club and Art Guild.
- Applefest BBQ, Fireworks, Concert and Family Fun – 5- 9pm at Algonquin ($10 parking per car). Delicious BBQ, “Hit the Bus” in Concert, Monkey Bridge by Troop 1, Robotic Show by Algonquin Robotics Team, Moonwalks and Obstacle Course, Pony Rides, Face Painting and Dunk Tanks, try to dunk our Fire Chief, Police Chief and Town Administrator. Sponsored by Applefest Committee.
Sunday, September 18, 2022
- Boy Scout Pancake Breakfast – 7 – 11 am American Legion Post 234, 402 West Main. Sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 1.
- Classic Car Show – 11 – 2 pm the Northboro Shopping Plaza, 255 West Main St. Classic Cars, Food Truck, Mortar & Pestle, Music by Jack’s Guitar and Craftworks Sidewalk Sale. Sponsored by Applefest Committee.
- Story Art – 11:00 – 1:30pm. Family friendly apple art. Drop in and create a paper tissue apple and listen to apple themed stories. Sponsored by Sheryl’s Art Studio.
- Historical Museum Tour – 12 – 4 pm at 52 Main St. Sponsored by Northborough Historical Society.
- Applefest Parade – 2 PM starting Lincoln Street, down Main Street to School Street. Celebrating Applefest Weekend.
- Taste of Northborough – 4 – 6 pm located at Robert E. Melican Middle School sponsored by Algonquin DECA Group and Applefest Committee. Enjoy tastings from local restaurants.
- Trinity Church BBQ and Kids Games – 12 – 4 pm at 23 Main St. Sponsored by Trinity Church.
- Soular Jazz Festival – 12 – 4 pm at First Parish Church, 40 Church Street. Live Jazz Music and Local Food.
*The festival logo refers to September 15th. It looks like that was an early assumption that didn’t pan out. In past years, a few organizations have held activities on Thursday, but nothing is listed for this year.