Light red? Dusty rose? Just what color is the transfer station sticker?

by susan on October 3, 2012

Post image for Light red? Dusty rose? Just what color is the transfer station sticker?

DPW Superintendent Karen Galligan has a sense of humor. After the hullabaloo about her choice of color for Transfer Station stickers this year – pink for those of you who don’t know – she decided to have a little fun.

A few weeks ago several eagle-eyed My Southborough readers noticed an electronic sign at the Transfer Station described the stickers as “light red” instead of pink. A few weeks later, the sign changed to “dusty rose.” Today it reads “bubble gum.”

“It’s all tongue-and-cheek,” Galligan said.

Galligan told me she wants to change the color name one more time before the sign comes down later this month, but is struggling to think of a good description. So, let’s help her out. What do you think the color should be called? Salmon? Raspberry? Dusty mauve (thanks @Erin)? The only rule is you can’t use the word pink. Share your ideas in the comments, and maybe one of your suggestions will make it onto the sign.

{ 23 comments }

1 longtime resident October 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Take a page from Steel Magnolias.. Blush and Bashful.

2 Cristina October 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

pepto

3 good neighbor October 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

How about “carnation?”

4 Resident on Ted October 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Lots of great names for light pink on this website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_pink

5 daddyo October 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The cancer awareness sticker

6 John Kendall October 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

That’s how my wife and I see it. Good choice!

7 Jim October 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

How bout Gentle Puke

8 Nerd October 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM
9 Erin October 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Pepto Bismo!!

10 Northsider October 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

love that you are having fun with this :D YAY! some lightheartedness

that sign is the BEST!

11 Matthew October 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Maybe she thinks this enough to distract us from the three new buildings going up. Did I miss that story somewhere? Did our dump fee go up so she and her work force wouldn’t have to take care of the shed anymore?
She didn’t want to deal with it even though her dept has done so for years, next thing you know our fees go up and she gets what she wants in the form of new buildings. I thought the increase was supposed to help cover the current expenses not new ones.

Someone shut me up with a nice twist on this story that doesn’t involve sneaking expenses around or shifting town jobs over to volunteers. I hear enough voices chatting in the other side of the current shed I don’t see why we need three more.

12 Tedy October 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

daddyo’s cancer awareness gets my vote

13 bob a October 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I don’t like anything on my bumper let alone a pink sticker that identifies what town I am from.

The sticker should be as benign as possible, meaning not pink

The sticker could be on the windshield or drivers side window and it should not be an extra charge, but included in my real estate tax

14 SouthboroDave October 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Mine had already faded to a fine white! Thank you mother nature!

15 Kristi October 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I think the color is best described as flamingo!

16 susan October 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Ooh, flamingo! I love that one!

17 Amy K October 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Blushing Trash
Faded Crimson
Pale Scarlet

18 Alan October 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

karen had proposed her plan back when it was decided to close the swap shop. There is a traffic and safety concerns around the swap shop and the towns people overwhelming demanded the swap shop stay open. She is also using the Assabet Valley students to build them. She has never stated she was going to cut staffing. She is also not the one that set the sticker price and I believe Mr Rooney wanted a higher price.

So don’t blame Karen. It’s the residents that wanted it.

Every time I am at the dump there is a worker in plan view. If you hear voices on the other side of the shed they are probable taking a break which they earned and it’s the law, especially working a 10 hour day.They also use it to get out of the weather during rain and snow events. The DPW workers are doing a great job picking up after us.

19 Laura October 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I was thinking “it’s a girl”, but I like the “flamingo” post too.

20 Matthew October 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Alan,
“Assabet building them” doesn’t mean that it doesn’t cost us something, increased maintenance, utilities, materials…when did that money get approved, I thought we were looking to cut budgets…was the problem that bad? Who pointed out the problem again? Who complained? Who was doing the job for years and only recently decided they didn’t want to? I wish I could shed a few things I don’t like to do at work and get a bunch of volunteers to do it for me…
I’ll pick this up on the open thread if there is more discussion.

For the record my two oldest girls say the color of the dump sticker is “perfect”.

21 PaducaJane October 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I think Cotton Candy is a good color. Does it bring a smile to your face? i only have good thoughts about Cotton Candy.

22 Mark Ford October 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Too funny, Karen! I must admit that when I saw the “light red” I figured it was because “pink” was considered a politically contentious term. Happy to learn I was duped by the joke. Bazinga!

23 South Train October 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Cotton Candy & Lady Slipper last night. Tonight: Chameleon…my final answer!