Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

by beth on October 31, 2019

Post image for Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

Above: This photo from the Pumpkin Stroll earlier this month seems perfect for sharing on Halloween afternoon. (contributed by Christine Narcisse)

It’s a good time for another open thread.

What’s on your mind this week, Southborough?

For those of you new to the blog, the open discussion thread is your place to ask questions, sound off on town issues, or share information with other readers. Here are some suggestions to get you started:

• Post a note about things that you’re selling or giving away, or things that you want
  • Share notices about upcoming events (Southborough or otherwise)
  • Register your thoughts on town issues or news stories
  • Point out interesting or helpful resources

You can add comments to the thread throughout the week. Check back often to see new comments. (If you read the blog via email or RSS, you might want to check the site from time to time for new comments.)

To view past open discussion threads, click here.

1 What the? November 8, 2019 at 6:58 AM

What is up with the 30 MPH speed limit going over the reservoir on Rt. 30? Didn’t that used to be 40 MPH? I think the stretch of 85 over the reservoir is 40 – why is this different?

2 beth November 8, 2019 at 7:11 AM

When you say “used to be”, when?

3 What the? November 12, 2019 at 7:07 AM

Beth, it’s been a while and I can’t remember specifically when it was changed.

If you use Waze or some (older) car navigation, it also shows that speed to be 40 MPH.(my car navigation info is four plus years old). After conducting research, I found navigation companies get their speed information from “boots on the ground” and/or photos from the google maps car surveys for example.

I noticed the same while driving on Fisher Road – it is currently posted 35 the entire length. Before the new signs were installed, the west half was posted 40 MPH from Jericho hill to to half-way toward Marlboro. Again both my car nav and Waze both indicate 40 MPH on this stretch.

And no interested, I did not receive a ticket, but I do have an issue with speed signs being arbitrarily changed without proper procedures being followed in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90 Section 18. And it is no more dangerous crossing the causeway than it is driving on any other roadway that has guardrails on it that prevents one from driving off into a gully or ravine.

4 Interested November 8, 2019 at 8:29 AM

It has always been 30 mph on the causeway. Doesn’t that make sense to you, as it is rather dangerous to speed across a bridge? That guard rail would not stop you from ending up in the reservoir. Did you get ticketed?

5 n November 8, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Seriously? 40 mph and there is that much additional risk of losing control and going through a guard rail?

85 N over the causeway is 40 mph.

Any evidence to support the assertion that the accident rate there with cars ending up in the water is greater?

the 45 mph zone from the Willow Street, Pleasant Connector Valley Rd intersection to Kallander Drive needs to be reduced if the 30 mph from there through the Central Street light to the Boston Rd light is really required.

Many drivers naturally drive well below the 45 mph on that stretch. And over the causeway, low risk of animals, entering traffic, etc entering the travel lane. and with visibility to the Boston Rd light where the PD sets up in the evening getting commuters heading E speaks for itself.

A 30 mph sign on the causeway would be appropriate to remind drivers given that the last sign is much closer to Kallander Drive and once you clear the light a reasonable person would assume lower risk and assume the speed limit would increase.

6 what? November 8, 2019 at 10:39 AM

The posted limit is 25 MPH on Middle Road and there’s a causeway there too!

Of course 1 car in 100 actually travels that road at or near 25 MPH – even though there are radar-enabled electronic signs in both directions showing drivers their speed – typically 10 – 20 MPH over the posted limit.

Where’s the SPD? Oh yeah, they’re out on route 9 or just driving around.

How about setting up some radar – you know, traffic speed limit enforcement?

7 Interested November 8, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Oh my goodness, people are forever complaining about the speeding traffic throughout town and now your complaining about the speed limit not being high enough
🤪🙀🤦‍♀️

8 Alan November 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM

I just drove middle rd yesterday and the SPD were there sitting doing radar.

9 Kelly Roney November 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Is it time to remove the “Internet Transaction Safety Zone” sign on Main St.? I would guess that no one’s monitoring that site now that the police have moved. Who’s responsible for removing the sign?

10 Matt November 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Is there any recent information on what the fate of Capasso Farm might be? I saw some articles in 2011/12 about potential businesses and then by 2016-18 the talk was of developing housing. Aside from being a movie set location I wasn’t able to find anything more recent. Based on how long it’s been I am not holding out hope, but seems a shame as it’s a beautiful location.

Is it true the zoning is not lapsed? Is housing an inevitability?

11 Interested November 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM

I’m hoping to start a meaningful conversation here by asking;

What is the ok boomer thing all about?

I’m interested in trying to understand the emotions and logic behind this storm. I appreciate all perspectives, but if there are any readers who are behind this movement, your insights are important to me.

12 OK Boomer November 14, 2019 at 9:13 AM
13 will_I_am_not November 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM

That link ‘splains it all.

Much Ado About Nothing, essentially.

Reading the article and comments, one young person stated there is/was nothing they could do about today’s issues since they were created by preceding generation(s).

Fatalism? Phooey!!

Where’s the sense of some level of empowerment? What’s the expression, “Cant’ never could do a damn thing!”? The Boomers pressured the US government to: get out of Vietnam, clean up the environment – air & water, enact safety standards for cars, provide nutritional labeling for foods, landed a man on the moon, etc.

Things weren’t prefect when the Boomers came along – and they did something about it.

OK Boomer indeed.

What’s the response to the generation (what is it called?) using the OK Boomer expression? Perhaps OK Whiner?

14 Interested November 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM

I think “retort” is the word your looking for.
But I think that might cause more hostility. I’m hoping to deescalate hostility and bridge a gap that I was very much unaware of.

15 Matt November 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Spiked-online is a new one for me.

Not going to weigh in on the discussion but perhaps caution on the source. Article definitely has an intended audience.

16 beth November 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM

I had a response, but it felt like a generational version of mansplaining. I’d be GenXsplaining, since I’m between the generations involved. It appears to mostly come from Millenials and Gen Z.

But I will still share that before all of this, I read and heard a lot of Millenial-bashing in the media in the past few years. Plus, a lot of bashing of college students (Gen Z). I would guess that feeds in to some of those groups’ current delight in taking up the mantra. (Though, I think a lot of that bashing came from Gen X. So we may be next as soon as someone comes up with a catchy taunt!)

Personally, I never liked lumping people into generalized character traits by generation.

17 Frank Crowell November 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Or put another way, Millenials are the Greatest Generation’s revenge on Baby Boomers. Too bad most have passed without witnessing it. I have often thought about how my father (WWII Vet) would have reacted to half of what my kids put me through.