Clothes dryer ignites fire in Richards Road home

The Southborough Fire Department responded to a fire on Richards Road on Saturday:

Southborough’s 9-1-1 center received a telephone call from a Richards Road resident at 2:15 PM on Saturday, July 24th reporting a smoke condition in the basement possibly caused by an electrical issue.

Engine 22 with two on-duty personnel immediately responded; Engine 23 was delayed as the other two on-duty personnel were returning from Framingham Hospital from a previous medical emergency.

Engine 22’s crew reported a smoke condition in the basement of the home. Off-duty and On-Call personnel were recalled with three responding to the request. Additional assistance was started to the scene from Ashland (Tower) and Hopkinton (Rescue for a rapid-intervention team), as well as station coverage from Westborough Fire Department.

Once sufficient personnel arrived to meet safety requirements, a search was started to find the origin of the smoke. A fire was discovered in a clothes dryer and the ventilation duct. The situation was declared under control at 2:38 PM. No injuries were reported. The fire was contained to the clothes dryer and ventilation duct, however smoke from the fire spread throughout the entire structure.

  • © 2022 MySouthborough.com — All rights reserved.