The Southborough Cultural Arts Council (SCAC) has issued an announcement and invitations.
Every year, SCAC supports cultural programs that benefit and enrich our community. In December, they awarded over $8,000 to fund 15 upcoming programs for this coming year.
The council announced:
Among the 2014 grantees there are seven musical performances, and two programs at the library. For the second year in a row, the SCAC is providing significant funding for the Southborough Recreation Summer Concert Series. The SCAC is partially funding the March 8, 2015, Assabet Valley Mastersinger’s performance at St. Marks School of a new full symphonic choral work by James Whitbourn, “Annelies,” which is based on “The Diary of Anne Frank.”
In addition to funding grants, SCAC has been working to promote arts and culture in Southborough. They worked with the Rotary Club to hold the successful scarecrow contest last Heritage Day. (You can see pictures here.)
And looking forward, they hope to hold an open studio event for artists in town.
These efforts rely on support from their volunteer council members. And SCAC needs more. If you are interested in joining them, visit www.southborougharts.org for more information and an application.
Local artists are also encouraged to visit the site to register with the council.
As for the recent grants, SCAC sought community feedback before making their decision. In the end, the council elected to issue the following awards:
- Discovery Museum discount admission, Acton MA, $1 admission for EBT* card holders ($250)
- Messiah Concert at Pilgrim Church, December 2015 ($250)
- Spring Chinese Festival Performance by Century Chinese School Art Group, Algonquin Regional High School, February 22, 2015, ($600)
- Summer Winds Concert by Symphony Pro Musica , May 16 and 17, 2015, Hudson High School and Westborough Mill Pond School ($250)
- From Cows to Computers: the 70s in Southborough, Donna McDaniel at Southborough Library, March 2015 ($500)
- Annelies concert by Assabet Valley Mastersingers, March 8, 2015, St. Mark’s School ($1,000)
- Audio Journal for the blind, visually impaired, or reading impaired ($300)
- Youth and Experience Concert by Metrowest Symphony Orchestra , Keefe Tech, May 3, 2015 ($200)
- Spring and Holiday Concerts by Northborough Area Community Chorus, Southgate (Shrewsbury), ARH, Trottier Middle School and the Willows (Westborough) May and December 2015 ($350)
- Holiday Production by Westborough Community Chorus, Sarah Gibbons Middle School, Westborough ($250)
- Display case for art objects, Southborough Library ($499)
- Summer Concert Series by Southborough Recreation, June to August 2015 ($1,492)
*EBT cards are a payment method for Massachusetts’ SNAP Food Assistance program