Southborough Police are looking to ensure that residents with firearms are properly informed on how to safely keep and handle them.
This month, the SPD will be holding a Home Firearms Safety Class. This is a non-firing safety class that will “enable you to apply for an LTC or FID”. (Though the department also notes “applicants for an LTC or FID are free to take the CERTIFIED Firearms Class of their choice.”)
The class requires pre-registration and is only for town residents aged 18 years and older. Seating is limited, so register soon.
The 4-hour class will be held on Wednesday, September 27 from 6:00 – 10:00 pm. It will take place at the Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road.
No live ammunition is allowed during the training. Lessons will include:
- Gun Owners Responsibilities
- Detailed Lessons 1-4 with Practice Sessions
- Rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Identify and Unloading Various Firearms
- Safe Gun Handling Exercises
- Types of Ammunition, Cleaning and Storage
- NRA Gun Safety Rules 1-10
- Safe Gun Storage and Firearms Maintenance
- Safe Storage of Ammunition
- Talking to your Children about Gun Safety
- New Shooter Guideline Power Point
- Forming Safe Gun Handling Habits
- Massachusetts Gun Laws
To learn more details and/or register for the class, click here to open the pdf file.