Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Monday, September 18, 2017
- District Keynote Series: Reducing Anxiety in Children (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ ARHS Auditorium: The first of this year’s expert speaker series held by the Northborough – Southborough school district Reducing Anxiety in Children. Presentation by Jessica Minahan a licensed and board-certified behavior analyst (BCBA), author, special educator, and consultant to schools internationally For details, see dedicated post.
- Neary Instrument Rental Night (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Trottier auditorium & cafeteria: In the auditorium, the Neary Band Director will explain the school’s band program and answer parents’ questions. Following the talk, two instrument rental companies will be in the Trottier cafeteria.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
- Networking workshop (8:00 – 10:30 am) @ Clark University, 333 Turnpike Rd: The Corridor Nine Area Chamber of Commerce will host “Success Express Workshop Series NETWORKING: How to Maximize Your Connections”. The cost is free for chamber members, $55 for nonmembers. For more information, go to www.corridornine.org or call the chamber at (508) 836-4444.
- SCAC info night (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: Southborough Cultural Arts Council’s (SCAC) is trying to recruit new members. Stop by to meet current members, and learn about the good work done by the SCAC. SCAC must have 5 members in order to receive funding from the Massachusetts Cultural Council. Several longtime members have terms that expire at the end of this year. RSVP to email@example.com. For details, see dedicated post.
- Parenting talk: The Opposite of Spoiled (7:00 pm) @ Fay’s Root Meeting Room, 1st floor of Root Academic Building: Fay School is hosting a presentation by New York Times columnist and bestselling author Ron Lieber on talking to kids about money. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
- Exciting Women’s Circle (10:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Senior Center’s social circle for ladies. New members are always welcome. This session’s focus: Share your thoughts on UNUSUAL QUESTIONS. A fun way to learn more about each other. For more information, call the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Protecting Your Home (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free seminar about new case law regarding irrevocable trust, new regulations regarding MassHealth qualification, and how, in today’s world, you can best protect the value of your home in the event you need nursing home care or a lot of care at home. Presentation by Attorney Arthur Bergeron. Refreshments sponsored by Mirick O’Connell Please sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453.
Thursday, September 21, 2017
- No School – Rosh Hashanah: No school for Southborough and Northborough
Friday, September 22, 2017
- Broker Breakfast Series (7:30 – 8:45 am) @ St. Mark’s School, Putnam Family Arts Center, Taft Hall, 25 Marlboro Road: Hosted by the Economic Development Committee, this is an informational and educational forum for commercial real estate brokers. Its purpose is to create strong partnerships between real estate, developers, municipal and community leaders to keep commercial vacancies low and business prospering in Southborough. For details or to register, click here.
Saturday, September 23, 2017
- First Community Church Sale (9:00 – 1:00 pm) @ First Community Church, 137 Southville Road: Bake sale and yard sale with items including household goods, tools, puzzles, books, clothing, bags, shoes, and jewelry. Rain or shine.
- Hike Southborough Day (9:00 am – 3:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm, Southborough: Organizers will be based out of tent at the farm during these hours with free giveaways and flyers with Tips ‘N Tricks related to hiking. Scheduled Guided hikes at trails around town. Several new geochaches with prizes will be available on Southborough Trails. For details, see dedicated post.
- Wildlife Tracking (9:00 – 11:00 am) @ Beals Preserve, meet at the entrance kiosk: This event is timed to be part of Hike Southborough Day”. Join naturalist Paul Wanta as we look for the tracks and signs of wildlife of Beals Preserve. Paul Wanta, based in Wendell MA, has been a naturalist, teacher of wilderness skills, and tracker for over 30 years. He will help us learn more about the land, wildlife, and plants that inhabit Beals Preserve. Meet at the Kiosk. Click here for the map.
- Poetry Workshop Series (2:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library, main floor: Join several Southborough poets as they review and discuss the work of a featured author and discuss & create poetry of their own. The group meets twice per month. The series is through a partnership between the Southborough Public Library & the Worcester County Poetry Association.
Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Poetry Walk (4:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Beals Preserve, meet at the Main Entrance kiosk: A Plein Air Poetry one-mile walk will celebrate the closing of this summer’s Art on the Trails exhibit. During the “Plein Air Poetry Walk”, a dozen poets will read poems at the art installations that inspired them. Refreshments will be served. For details, see dedicated post.
- Free pre-season basketball clinics (for SYBA) (5:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Free pre-season clinics for kids registered for the Town/Travel basketball program. For details see dedicated post.
Updated (9/19/17 7:45 am): Added First Community Church Sale