Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
- Special Town Election (6:30 am – 8:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: This is the election to fill the vacant seat on the Board of Selectmen. Note: All three precincts will vote in the Trottier gym. (Use the side entrance.)
- Culinary Demos for Seniors: One-Bowl Meals (12:30 – 1:30 pm) @ The Southborough Senior Center: The 1st of five cooking demonstration sessions for seniors this fall by the Culinary Underground A chef will demonstrate emphasis on technique, flavor and fun. Please sign up early; we can only take 20 people for each demonstration. This session: Single Bowl meals are perfect for singles. Not only are they easy and variable, but they are a great way to clean out the fridge. Chirashi Sushi Bowl, Chicken Curry Bowl, and Huevos Rancheros Bowl.
- Takiyah Harris Art Reception (7:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Reception for Harris’ Haptic Art exhibit on display. (Haptic Art focuses on creating collage compositions by using materials with 3-D texture.) Select members from the Southborough Cultural Arts Council will be in attendance. Light refreshments will be served. For details, see Facebook event.
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
- Senior Center Veterans Day Celebration (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The event honoring vetarns will feature a patriotic musical by Southborough Songsters, Woodward 3rd graders singing a few patriotic songs, and a Color Guard Flag Ceremony. Lunch will be brought to us by Assabet’s Epicurean Restaurant. No Charge for veterans. Suggested Donation for others: $6/Friend of COA or $10/non-member. Sign up at (508) 229-4453.
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
- “If Only” – Presentation and Panel Discussion (6:00 – 9:00 pm) @ ARHS Auditorium: Event for parents to learn about the dangers and signs of prescription drug abuse. See dedicated post.
Friday, November 10, 2017
- No School: Due to the Federal “observance” of Veterans Day, there will be no school for Southborough and Northborough. (Note, the Town will hold its ceremony on November 11)
- Southborough Gardeners Guest Day (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Trottier Middle School, 49 Parkerville Rd: SG invites you to attend their annual November Guest Day! This year’s program is entitled “Beyond the Cornucopia” by floral designer Maureen Christmas. (Note the location change from past years.) For details see dedicated post.
Saturday, November 11, 2017
- Veteran’s Day Ceremony (11:00 am) @ All Wars Memorial on the common across from the library: American Legion Post 161 and Veterans of Foreign Wars – Post 3276 will lead the town’s Veteran’s Day ceremony including readings and patriotic music. All veterans and scouts are invited to participate. Southborough residents are encouraged to attend in observance.
Updated (11/6/17 5:46 pm): I accidentally wrote that voting is in the auditorium. It takes place in the Trottier gym.