Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Thursday, March 8, 2018
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
- MAJE Jazz Festival (2:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: Mass. Assoc. of Jazz Educators’ competitive festival for high school jazz bands. Algonquin Jazz Band II is slated for 3:00 pm (Awards Ceremony at 5:00 pm). Algonquin Jazz Band I is scheduled for 7:30 pm, (8:30 pm Awards Ceremony). There is a small attendance fee. For the full schedule, see NSMA’s volunteer signup sheet.
Friday, March 9, 2018
- Movie matinee (Senior Center program) (12:00 – 1:50 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free screening of Dunkirk the WWII drama. Rated PG-13 (intense war experience and some language). The room opens at 11:15 am for lunch. (You can bring your own or for suggested donation of $3 get the Cafe lunch – Meatball & Sausage Grinders, dessert, and a drink. If you plan to purchase lunch – you need to pre-register at the front desk, 508-229-4453.)
- Southborough Rotary Club Talent Show (7:00 – 9:30 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: 18th annual show sponsored by the Southborough Rotary Club. Participants are grade 5 to adult. Tickets are $10 per person. The Rotary Club will donate all proceeds to Trottier in support of student activities and supplies.
Saturday, March 10, 2018
- Saturdays at Fay (10:00 am – 11:00 am) @ Fay School’s Primary School, 23 Middle Road: This month’s free program is an award winning puppet show geared to 3-6 year olds – “A Woodland Cinderella”. Registration is required. For more details, see dedicated post.
- Art Workshop for Children (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Children ages 5-9 are invited to be a part of the drop in art workshops. (Siblings allowed.) This session, the focus is making a pinata. Registration is not required. The workshop will be run by Bigelow Center for the Arts; Lanting Huang-Truong.
- Hop into Spring Savings (1:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Southborough Recreation Department, 21 Highland Street: Annual event to promote signing up for Southborough Recreation’s spring and summer programs. Clowning, balloon twisting, face painting, and complimentary refreshments. Enter a free raffle for one week of Summer Camp. Limited number of reduced rate vouchers will be for sale (one per family) to be used towards Town recreation programs (including RAP or Summer Camp) – some restrictions may apply. For details, see dedicated post.
Sunday, March 11, 2018
- AVM concert “Choral Gems for Romantic Organ and Choir” (3:30 – 5:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Assabet Valley Mastersingers performance. This unique program will feature three rarely-heard, short masses specifically written for organ and chorus by some of the Romantic era’s greatest masters of choral music. General Admission: $25 Students/Senior Citizens: $20. Children 6-12 admitted free with a paying adult, but a ticket must be obtained. For more information check their website. (Look for more event details in an upcoming dedicated post.)
Updated (3/5/18 4:45 pm): I just realized the Author Night is this Wednesday.
Updated (3/7/18 9:02 am): The storm and early school release today means that the MAJE Festival scheduled to take place at Algonquin this afternoon was pushed to the snow date – tomorrow, Thursday, March 8th. According to the Northboro Southborough Music Association, if Algonquin does not have school on Thursday, then the festival will be moved to Monday (March 12th) with the same schedule.
Updated (3/7/18 4:00 pm): Author Night on Thursday is cancelled due to the flu! Let’s hope Meredith O’Brien gets well quickly. The Library hopes to reschedule for later this month.