Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week as of this morning. But given the impending storm, I’d say there’s a high likelihood of cancellations for Tuesday’s programs. And based on the our most recent Noreaster, impacts may stretch even further into the week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Monday, March 12, 2018
- Dr. Cooper (Senior Center Program) (9:30 – 10:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Dr. Cooper, our Podiatrist will be coming to the Senior Center on Monday, March 12th from 9:30 am to 12:00pm. Call the front desk at (508) 229-4453 to sign up or if you have any questions. Suggested Donation: $20.00
- CareGivers Support Group (Senior Center Program) (10:30 – 11:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Senior Center is still looking to build up participation in its Caregivers Support Group for those caring for a loved one with dementia. This group meets the second Monday of each month. Taking time out to get yourself support and build community with others in a similar situation are all part of the self-care which is so important to your own health and wellness. If you have any questions about this group, please call the Center’s Outreach Coordinator Cindy Beard at 508-229-4453.
- MAJE Jazz Festival (2:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: rescheduled from last Wednesday – Mass. Assoc. of Jazz Educators’ competitive festival for high school jazz bands. Algonquin Jazz Band II is slated for 3:00 pm (Awards Ceremony at 5:00 pm). Algonquin Jazz Band I is scheduled for 7:30 pm, (8:30 pm Awards Ceremony). There is a small attendance fee. For the full schedule, see NSMA’s volunteer signup sheet.
Tuesday, March 13, 2018
- Nutrition Demo – Oats in a Jar (Senior Center Program) (11:30 am – 1:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Southborough Senior Center’s Dietician Karen White is holding another “Nutrition for Life” program. Seniors are invited to learn how “Oats in a Jar” are done, make their own jar, and enjoy it at home. In order to have enough mason jars on hand, participants are asked to sign up early. To register, call 508-229-4453. The suggested donation for the program is $3 per person. For details, see dedicated post.
- Adult Coloring (Senior Center Program) (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ The Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Rd: Come enjoy a stress free activity that relaxes the brain and allows your mind to get the rest it needs. Adult Coloring Books will make your life a whole lot brighter. All supplies will be supplied by the senior center
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
- Book Club (Senior Center Program) (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Senior Center’s monthly Book Group will meet to discuss The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg.
Thursday, March 15, 2018
- Southborough UNscheduled (5:00 – 9:00 pm): This is an annual NON-event, organized by Southborough Youth & Family Services. Residents are encouraged to focus on time together as a family this evening. Southborough (and Northborough) public schools don’t assign homework, town sports don’t hold evening practices or games, and community organizations and town boards don’t schedule evening meetings for that date. Parents are also encouraged to come home from work in time for family dinner and to cancel or reschedule out of town activities/meetings that interfere.
Friday, March 16, 2018
- Woodward Principal’s Coffee – MCAS (9:30 am) @ Woodward Cafeteria: This session of the Woodward Principal’s Coffee for parents will focus on an informational discussion on MCAS testing for Grade 3 at Woodward with Mr. Mucci and third grade teacher Allison Garand. There will be two sessions: 3/16 at 9:30 am and 3/19 at 6:00 pm.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Recreation Center, 21 Highland St: The Southborough Recreation Department, Friends of Recreation & Southborough Kindergroup invite Southborough town residents to join them at a free St. Patrick’s Day Party. This event is geared towards families with young children. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, March 17, 2018
- St. Patrick’s Day Celtic Program (1:00 – 2:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: A program highlighting the history of chocolate in Ireland, Irish chocolate pioneers, Irish lore, famous Irish foods, & Irish poetry. Samplings of Irish tea, Irish break, and beautiful Celtic chocolates.
Updated (3/12/18 11:16 am): A reader shared info from an Algonquin announcement that included moving the snowed out MAJE festival to today and cancelling two other concerts that were scheduled for this week:
MAJE Jazz Festival – DATE CHANGE – rescheduled to this Monday, March 12th. Our evening March 13th and March 14th concerts will NOT happen as scheduled, and the students’ opportunities to practice concert performances will now occur during the day. This way we best support our students’ preparations for MICCA competition without having students at night concerts three school nights in a row. Thank you for the support.