I know it’s still sweltering-summer, but Fall sports are underway. That means it’s already time to start planning for kids’ winter sports.
Southborough Youth Basketball registration for 1st – 8th grade is now open. Here are some of this year’s details for the Town and Travel programs.
(Note: For information on Southborough Recreation’s program for younger players, click here and search for “Biddy Basketball Basic”.)
The season is expected to begin mid-November. The registration deadline is October 21st, but players seeking to join the travel team need to act this month.
Town Program (grades 1-8 for Girls and Boys)
All children of all skill levels are encouraged to learn the game, have fun and socialize with friends. All children play an equal amount.
- Season begins mid-November and runs through February 23rd.
- 1st Grade – play in a clinic format on Saturday mornings (no weekday practice).
- Grades 2-6 – mid-week evening practice, teams have Saturday games in Town (except if plans are made to play against other towns in particular grades.)
- Grades 7-8 – mid-week evening practice, Tuesday night games at Trottier, Saturday games at Algonquin. Playoffs follow the regular season.
- Grades 1-3: $90 per player ($10 sibling discount)
- Grades 4-8: $120 per player ($10 sibling discount)
Travel Program (grades 4-8 for Girls and Boys)
Optional program for children interested in pursuing more competitive basketball. Players are selected through a tryout process.
- Tryouts will be held on Sundays, September 23rd and 30th
- Season runs from December 2, 2018 through February 24, 2019. Playoffs are scheduled for February 28 through March 3.
- Travel teams play games on Sundays and practice one to two nights per week. Expect 12 games with about half in town.
- Minimum playing time is 50% for 4th graders and about 40% for older players with discretion of coaches based on competitive play.
- This season, not all grades will require travel players to also play town basketball. (Sounds like that means some grades still may.)
- To tryout – players must be previously registered for town basketball or be named to a team (unless specific permission is otherwise granted).
- Travel ONLY Basketball – $250
- COMBINED Town and Travel – $320
- (Players who register for Travel but don’t make a team will have fees applied to Town and the difference refunded.)
For more details on the SYBA program, or to register, visit southboroughbasketball.org. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.