Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
- Exciting Women’s Circle (Senior Center Program) (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A social group for women at the Senior Center. New members always welcome. The group is meeting on a new schedule – monthly on Tuesdays.
- Adult Coloring (Senior Center program) (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Come enjoy a stress free activity that relaxes the brain and allows your mind to get the rest it needs. Adult Coloring Books will make your life a whole lot brighter. Supplies will be provided by the Senior Center (feel free to bring your own).
- Young Adult Book Club (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library main floor: For this session, the Book Club for ages 13-18 will discuss The Graveyard Book. Snacks will be provided. Registration is not required, but please call the library to confirm attendance. For details, see flyer.
- Sachem’s Haunted Coffeehouse (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ ARHS, Black Box Theatre: The seasonal “coffeehouse” features a variety of acts by Algonquin students – singing, poetry, improv, and monologues. Admission is $5 (or $4 if you come in costume). Be aware – Apparently the popular coffeehouses tend to fill up.
Halloween, Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Trottier celebrates Halloween: No party or parade – but students are invited to wear costumes, as long as they are school appropriate. Face paint is not allowed. Hats, if worn, must go with the costume, and teachers may ask students to remove part of the costume if it is a distraction. For confirmation, see Daily Bulletin.
- Finn School morning Costume Parade (10:30 am): This year, the school’s annual parade will be split by morning and afternoon. This parade is for morning pre-K and half day Kindergartners will be at 10:30 am. Families and friends are invited to stand outside to watch the parades march by. For details, including costume restrictions, see the school’s letter.
- Bingo (Senior Center program) (1:00 – 2:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Rd: Monthly entertainment of the Senior Center. Join Doriann Jasinski and Bob Meyers for a wonderful afternoon of Bingo, fun and prizes. Staff will start selling cards at 1:00 and stop when cards are sold out.
- Finn School afternoon Costume Parade (1:15 pm): This year, the school’s annual parade will be split by morning and afternoon. This is the parade for afternoon pre-K, full day Kindergartners, and First Graders. Families and friends are invited to stand outside to watch the parades march by. For details, including costume restrictions, see the school’s letter.
- Neary School Halloween Parade (1:50 -2:15 pm): Neary is introducing a costume parade this year. The route will be outside and around the perimeter of Neary (weather permitting) and in our hallways, if the weather is inclement. Parents are invited to watch. For more details, including costume restrictions, see the school’s letter to parents.
- Trick-or-Treating (evening): Unlike some towns, Southborough doesn’t have an official trick-or-treating schedule. (Aside from 2011, when a freak storm caused an official delay!) But the tradition is the evening of Halloween with some kids beginning to ring doorbells close to dusk. (New to town and not sure how much candy to stock up on? Ask your neighbors, as it really varies from street to street.)
- “Avengers” Halloween display (after dark – about 10:00 pm) @ 139 Parkerville Road: Every year, trick or treaters are invited to check out the fantastic Halloween display created by the Sutherlands. This year the Avengers movies are inspiration. All ages are welcome and there’s nothing here that should terrify the little ones.
Thursday, November 1, 2018
- ARHS Fall Instrumental Concert (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Auditorium: The school’s Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, String Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble I and Jazz Ensemble II will perform.
Friday, November 2, 2018
- Nightmare Before Christmas (5:15 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: Postponed from last week – Trottier will put on a free screening of the PG Halloween movie (Fantasy/Musical ‧ 1h 16m). Before and after the show, concessions will be sold, with all proceeds donated to a local school in need. For details, see Trottier’s Daily Bulletins.
- Scouting for Food – route selection (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, Common Street: All town scouts (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.) Come pick up your routes for the Scouting for Food Drive. These are the streets for which scouts are responsible for posting flyers on November 3-4 and returning to pick up contributions to the Food Pantry on November 10th.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
- Scouting for Food – route selection (8:00 am – 10:00 am) @ Pilgrim Church, Common Street: All town scouts (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.) Come pick up your routes for the Scouting for Food Drive. These are the streets for which scouts are responsible for posting flyers on November 3-4 and returning to pick up contributions to the Food Pantry on November 10th.
Sunday, November 4, 2018
- Fay School Admission Open House (1:00 – 3:30 pm) @ Fay School: Come learn about our dynamic program and the benefits of a private school education. Meet our talented faculty, key administrators, parents, and students. While you are here, take part in our mini fair and learn more about the departments, programs, and activities that interest you most. For more information and to RSVP, visit www.fayschool.org/openhouse.