Over the weekend, an Algonquin team that earned a bid in the fall got a chance to compete at Nationals. On Saturday, Algonquin was scheduled to perform in the Platinum Nationals competition in Atlanta.
But a picture’s worth a thousand words. And this one (right) posted to Facebook by one of the team’s chaperones shows the victorious girls holding up 1st Place and Grand Champion banners!
Of course, the most of the ARHS Athletics department is focused on the new season. It’s off to a strong start with several teams kicking off spring with wins.
On Wednesday, Boys Volleyball beat Minnechaug 3-2. On Thursday, Baseball beat the same school 3-1. On Friday, Boys Lacrosse had a big win over Littleton 10-4.
On Saturday, Girls Lacrosse’s triumph was even bigger. You can read Wicked Local’s coverage here:
The former Holliston head coach returned to her high school alma mater – where she graduated in 2012 – picked up her first win at the helm of the Tomahawks program – with a 16-1 shellacking over Northampton on Saturday morning in their season opener. . .
[Emma] Decker’s first win proved to not be the only first for Algonquin. Six players (two seniors, a junior and three first year varsity players) all scored their first career varsity goals on Saturday. (read more)
Earlier in the week, the Telegram wrote about a senior team member’s quests to hit a milestone before she graduates:
Algonquin Regional senior attacker Kate Sullivan is looking to join an elite club this season — the girls’ lacrosse program’s 200-point club.
Read about that here.
The school’s photographer Jeff Slovin posted better shots of both the Baseball and Girls LAX wins than the ones I shared above, plus great ones of Volleyball.
— Jeff Slovin Photo (@JeffSlovinPhoto) April 4, 2019
Check out Slovin’s photo albums for Gonk spring sports here.
Not every team scored a win. But, even two of the teams that scored losses last week had victories to boast. The Boys and Girls Outdoor Track teams both lost meets to Wachusetts last Wednesday. But, not surprisingly there were some individual achievements. ARHS athletes (including ones familiar from recent Indoor Track victories over the winter) scored victories in the 2 mile, 800m, 100m, long jump and triple jump for the Girls and the 400m, 200m, 100m, long jump, high jump and triple jump for the Boys.
Other T-Hawk losses were Softball to Hudson 15-0 and Boys Rugby to Cambridge Rindge & Latin School 29-22.
On Saturday, Girls Rugby took part in a big jamboree held at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional. No school’s scores were posted out of that day’s play. Their first regular game is this Wednesday.
The remaining varsity teams kick off their seasons this week. Girls Golf’s plays today. (I know it’s wet out there, but last I checked it was still scheduled to go on.) Boys and Girls Tennis openers are this Friday.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap through Patriots Day.
Monday, April 8, 2019
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Girls Golf vs. Wellesley @ Westborough Country Club
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Baseball vs. Hudson Public Schools @ New England Baseball Complex
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Volleyball vs. North @ Worcester North
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Lacrosse vs. Bromfield @ Bromfield
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Lacrosse vs. Grafton @ Memorial Field (911 field)
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Softball vs. Westborough High School @ Westborough High School (Rescheduled from 04-08-19 rainout)
Wednesday, April 10, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Baseball vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Groton-Dunstable Regional High School
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Lacrosse vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Groton-Dunstable Regional High School (Rescheduled from 04-11-19)
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Lacrosse vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Memorial Field (911 field; Rescheduled from 04-11-19)
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Outdoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Shepherd Hill Regional High School
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Outdoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Softball vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Groton-Dunstable Regional High School
- 5:15pm ARHS Boys Volleyball vs. Fitchburg @ Fitchburg High School
- 7:30 pm – ARHS Girls Rugby vs. Belmont @ Belmont High School
Friday, April 12, 2019
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Girls Tennis vs. Advanced Math & Science Acad. Charter @ Assabet Valley Reg Voc High School
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Tennis vs. Dover-Sherborn @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Baseball vs. Leominster @ New England Baseball Complex
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Softball vs. Leominster @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Volleyball vs. Wayland @ Wayland High School
- 5:00 pm – ARHS Boys Rugby vs. Brookline @ Algonquin
Saturday, April 13, 2019
- 3:00 pm – ARHS Girls Lacrosse vs. Westfield @ Algonquin (Field Football Stadium)
Patriot’s Day, Monday, April 15, 2019
- 10:00 am – ARHS Girls Lacrosse vs. Grafton @ Memorial Field (911 field)
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email email@example.com.