Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Tuesday, October 15, 2019
- Nutrition Demo for seniors (12:30 – 1:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pantry Staples for Easy Meals With Hannaford’s Store Dietitian, Minna Scholten, MS, RDN, LDN The key to preparing nutritious meals with ease is stocking your pantry with the right basics. Youʹll leave this class with great tips on what to keep in the kitchen for cooking balanced meals for one or two people. Samples and recipes will be provided at this snack and chat with Minna. For details, see flyer.
- Knitting Club (Senior Center Program) (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ The Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Rd: Come join a wonderful group of ladies working on their own creations and discussing community projects. Stop by for a cup of coffee/tea and visit with the group or join right in! For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- 4th & 5th Grade Book Group (4:15 – 5:15 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Book club members read a book selected each month and then meet for discussion & activities. Registration is required. Refreshments provided by Wegmans and Friends of Southborough Library. For information about joining, contact Kim Ivers at email@example.com
- D.C. Trip Orientation for 8th Grade Parents (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: A meeting for parents of 8th graders who will be going on the class trip to Washington, DC this fall.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Ben & Brad Lunchtime Cabaret (Senior Center Program) (12:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: For members of Friends of Council on Aging only – Please sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453 – may be full. Come join us for the well know Ben Sears and Brad Conner for a very entertaining lunchtime Cabaret. Suggested Donation $6. For details, see flyer.
- 2nd & 3rd Grade Book Group (4:15 – 5:15 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Book club members read a book selected each month and then meet for discussion & activities. Registration is required. Refreshments provided by Wegmans and Friends of Southborough Library. For information about joining, contact Kim Ivers at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Restaurant fundraiser for Friends of Southborough Library (5:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s: The Southborough based restaurant & pub has generously agreed to donate 15% of every bill during the event hours to the Friends – as long as customers show the event flyer. (And the Westborough location has agreed to also honor the deal!) (For more details on the restaurants and menus click here.) For printable flyer, click here. To show the flyer on your phone click here.
- NSPAC Presents: Autism and Insurance (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Northborough Library, 34 Main St.: “What Familes Need to Know” Presented byTerri Farrell, the Project Director of Autism Insurance Resource Center, UMASS Medical School’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center. Learn how to navigate the autism insurance world. Sponsored by the Northborough Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council. Click right to enlarge flyer.
- Tales & Tails (6:15 – 7:15 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Children can read with a certified therapy dog from Therapy Dogs International. Contact the library to sign up for a 15 minutes time slot. Children should have some reading ability. Children can bring books or pick some from the library. (This event runs monthly on Wednesday and Thursday, usually the 4th week of the month.)
- Cookbook Club (6:30 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Join the Library for its monthly cookbook group. Participants will each cook a different dish from the selected cook book of the month. This month’s cookbook is How to Cook Everything Fast by Mark Bittman. To avoid overlap, email Marianna (at email@example.com) with your selection.
Thursday, October 17, 2019
- HorseBack Trail Ride (9:30 am) @ Carpool from Southborough Senior Center: Outing for active seniors organized by the Trailblazers: Carpool to Cornerstone Stables in Princeton. Trail ride about one hour. Lunch included at the Mountainside Market. Donation: $40. 12 person limit. Pre-register at the Senior Center or by calling 508-229-4453. Please remember to bring bug/tick repellent and wear appropriate clothing and footwear. For details see Trailblazers’ flyer.
- ARHS 8th Grade Parent Night (6:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: Algonquin Regional High School will be hosting an 8th Grade Parent Night. Come join us for an informational meeting about the many exceptional programs that Algonquin offers. All community members and families are welcome to attend. Immediately following our presentation, we will have student guided tours around the building to see the various departments and programs. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Carmignani, at 508-351-7010.
- Southborough Genealogy Club (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: This is an informal group meeting where you can learn and share tips about resources for researching family history. This monthly event is free and open to the public. Bring your laptop, log into Ancestry.com, and join in! If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Household Hazardous Waste Day (9:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Transfer Station: You must have a transfer station permit to participate. For details, see dedicated post.