Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (There’s a lot.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Monday, February 3, 2020
- Free Throw Championship (6:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School Gym: The Knights of Columbus will be holding their annual free-throw competition. Winners will have an opportunity to Vance to the district, regional and state competitions through April. 9-14 year-old boys and girls will be able to participate in the competition. Participants will submit a registration form/score sheet the night of the event and should provide proof of age and have parental consent. They will also request an email contact address. For details, see dedicated post.
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
- Knitting Club (Senior Center Program) (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ The Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Rd: Come join a wonderful group of ladies working on their own creations and discussing community projects. Stop by for a cup of coffee/tea and visit with the group or join right in! For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453
- ARHS Boys Rugby restaurant fundraiser (3:00 – 9:00 pm) @ MOOYAH Burgers, Fries & Shakes, 10010A Shops Way, Northborough: Be sure to mention the ARHS Boys Rugby at the time of your order (in person only) and a percentage of sales will be donated to the team. Funds raised will help with indoor training costs. Players will be present, so be sure to say hello.
- Crafternoon: Upcycled Robot Sculpting (4:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Room: Using craft supplies “knick-knacks and doo-dads,” kids will hot glue together “robot” figures that can then be painted gold or silver if they wish. For ages 8 & up, please pre-register here. This program is made possible by a grant from the Southborough Community Fund, a fund of the Foundation For Metrowest. For details, see dedicated post.
- 8th Grade Course Selection Night (6:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough, MA 01532, USA: 8th Grade students and parents are invited to Algonquin’s informational evening on the course selection process. (No courses will be scheduled at this event.) For details, see flyer right.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
- Bowling for seniors (1:00 – 2:30 pm) @ Sawyer’s Bowladrome, 13 Blake Street, Northborough: Southborough Senior Center program put on by the Trailblazers Join other seniors to play a few Strings of candlepin bowling. Please let the front desk know which dates you will attend. Suggested Donation $5. For details, see dedicated post.
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library, Eaton Room: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. This activity is recommended for children ages 4 and up. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
Thursday, February 6, 2020
- David Garden (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library, Children’s Room: Dave Garden from Music Together will lead a fun time with music, singing, and dancing. This program is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. All are welcome. Registration is not required. This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Southborough Library.
- Trottier Early Release (11:20 am): Early dismissal for Parent-teacher Conferences
- 6th grade trip orientation (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Orientation for parents of Trottier Middle School 6th graders about the 3 day spring trip to Camp Cody.
- Native Plant Seed Cleaning and Storage Workshop (6:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Drop in to work with Native Plant Garden Consultant Ellen Sousa and the Open Space Preservation Commission as they clean native plant seeds. The seeds will be used in the sowing workshop that immediately follows. For details, see dedicated post.
- Native Winter Sow Workshop (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Sign up to join Garden Expert Nikki Howell and the Open Space Preservation Commission. Participants will prepare containers (mini greenhouses) to germinate native seedlings for planting in their own yards this spring. No prior gardening experience needed. For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, February 7, 2020
- Once Upon a Murder (6:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School cafeteria, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough: Algonquin DECA and Life Skills DECA Presents a Mystery Dinner. Doors open at 5:30 pm, show starts at 6:00 pm. Tickets are $25 each and cover dinner. (Tickets must be purchased by today, February 3rd.) For details, see dedicated post.
- Neary’s The Lion King Jr (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Neary 4th and 5th grade students perform in the annual musical produced by Skyrise Theater. This performance is by “cast Wednesday“. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, February 8, 2020
- Drop-In Saturday Art (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Join us for some fun family Saturday crafts! This drop-in activity is Butterfly Painting! Recommended for ages 5-10, siblings welcome. No registration required.This program is sponsored by the Friend of the Library. For details, see dedicated post.
- Mighty Aphrodite: Chocolate & Love Pairing (1:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: The Library invites you to enjoy more chocolate. Kim Larkin of Klassic Kreations will return to the Library with a playful program celebrating romantic dynamic duos throughout history, fun trivia, discussion and samples of aphrodisiac foods (including chocolate!), fun poetry and more. Sponsored by The Friends of the Southborough Library. For details, see dedicated post.
- Neary’s The Lion King Jr (2:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Neary 4th and 5th grade students perform in the annual musical produced by Skyrise Theater. This performance is by “cast Wednesday“. For details, see dedicated post.
- Finn Special Person Dance (2:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Finn School, 60 Richards Rd: The Finn School dance is an SOS fundraiser. (Registration was due Friday, January 31st.) The event is for Finn students and a parent or other special adult in their lives. The cost is $25 per couple (max per family.)Cupcakes and other refreshments will be served. A DJ will provide music and entertainment. For details, see flyer.
- Neary’s The Lion King Jr (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Neary 4th and 5th grade students perform in the annual musical produced by Skyrise Theater through an after school recreation program. There are two casts, each performing one evening and one matinee. This performance is by “cast Friday“. For details, see dedicated post.
Sunday, February 9, 2020
- Neary’s The Lion King Jr (2:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Neary 4th and 5th grade students perform in the annual musical produced by Skyrise Theater through an after school recreation program. There are two casts, each performing one evening and one matinee. This performance is by “cast Friday“. For details, see dedicated post.
(top images clockwise from: old KoC competition guide cover – cropped, Wicked Good Henna website, photo by Rene Schwietzke on Wikimedia – cropped, Leominster Public Library’s Facebook post – cropped, event flyer – cropped, photo by Beth Melo, contributed photo- cropped, and Lion King Jr. promotional logos – cropped)