The Southborough Senior Center asked me to let readers know that SHINE Counselors are available by phone.
Although seniors aren’t allowed to visit the center, staff is still at their disposal to help. The announcement reminds that the counselors offer free confidential phone counseling on all aspects of health insurance to anyone on Medicare. (It’s also available to their caregivers.)
The SHINE program (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone) is run by the state. Mass.gov explains:
People who have Medicare or who are about to become eligible for Medicare can meet with a counselor to learn about benefits and options available. A counselor will review programs that help people with limited income to pay health care costs.
Counselors can help you:
- Understand your insurance coverage
- Find the right coverage for you
- Find ways you can save money on your prescription drugs and health insurance
- Help you apply for programs that will lower your costs
- Select the Medicare prescription drug plan that covers your medications