Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this weekend through next. (For Southborough public school students, Labor Day weekend is a four day weekend, thanks to Rosh Hashana.)
Saturday, August 28, 2021
- Summer Nights (5:00 pm until after dark) @ Neary Fields, 53 Parkerville Rd: The annual, free end of summer town festival. This year’s event will be limited to a slew of food trucks selling dinner and goodies, a live concert (starting at 6:00), and fireworks. For details, see dedicated post.
- Monarch Butterfly Wild Walk (6:30 – 8:30 pm): A Trustees ranger and naturalist will guide a 30 minute hike on farm trails and teach about Monarch butterflies and how different types of plants and animals cope with the universal changes the land undergoes as the seasons evolve. Keep your eyes open for animal tracks and other signs of wildlife on the farm and in the woods. Following the hike, enjoy lemonade and s’mores around the campfire. Pre-registration (with fees) is required.
Monday, August 30, 2021
- Stretch Break Class for seniors (10:15 – 11:00 am) @ zoom: For details on semi-weekly class, see newsletter.
- Southborough Summer Concert Series (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Neary School grounds, 53 Parkerville Road: Final of this summer’s free family friendly concerts at Neary School field by the tennis courts. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs. Featuring: Knock on Wood Food vendors: Rancho Cantina, Yummy Mummy Bakery, and Uhlmann’s Ice Cream (Postponed from June 30 and again from July 19.) For details, see dedicated post.
- ARHS Freshman Dance & Parent Meeting (6:00 – 8:00 pm): Algonquin’s Class of 2025 dance is held at the same time as a school meeting for their parents.
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
- ARHS New Student Orientation (9:00 am – 11:30 am) @ : This orientation is for students new to Algonquin who are entering grades 10-12
- Strength Training Class for seniors (9:00 – 9:45 am) @ zoom: For details on semi-weekly class, see newsletter.
- Junior Farmer for a Day (9:00 am – 3:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For grades K-5. Children will encounter farm animals, learn about farm-fresh food, hike the trails, create natural crafts, and explore the farm and its surroundings from the eyes of its most important team member: the farmer! Each session will have a different theme. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see dedicated post.
- Yoga on the Farm (6:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Join Ruth for a 60 minute Slow Flow Yoga practice where guests will coordinate movement with breath to flow from one pose to the next, ending with restorative poses. Pre-Register for $20, with proceeds going to providing yoga to underserved populations in the greater Worcester area.
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
- Finn School Open House (2:30 – 4:30 pm): Students and parents are invited to visit the school and their classrooms. (PreK & Kindergarten from 2:30pm – 3:30pm and Grade 1 from 3:30pm – 4:30pm.)
- Woodward School Open House (3:00 – 5:00 pm): Students and parents are invited to visit the school and their classrooms. (Grade 2 from 3:00-4:00 pm and Grade 3 from 4:00-5:00 pm)
- Neary School Open House/Curriculum Night (3:30 – 5:30 pm): Students and parents are invited to visit the school to meet teachers. (Grade 5 from 3:30 – 4:30 pm; Specialist teachers from 4:00 – 5:00 pm; and Grade 4 from 4:30 – 5:30 pm.)
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm and 7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Need help with technology? Library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist you. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary. Sessions are limited to no more than 1 hour.
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
- First Day of School: First day of Northborough-Southborough public schools
- Thank You Stamp Ceremony (9:00 am) @ Town House, 17 Common Street: The Southborough Postmaster is dedicating a new stamp to members of the Southborough community. For details, see dedicated post.
- ARHS Fall Sports Night (6:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, Auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough: Meeting for parents to learn about this fall’s student athletic program
Thursday, September 2, 2021
- Mah Jongg (9:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program of the Southborough Senior Center is back. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- ARHS Musical Auditions Workshops (2:45 – 4:45 pm & 6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, Auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough
Friday, September 3, 2021
- Preschool Farm Explorer Fridays (9:30 – 10:30 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Pre-registration (and fee) required. For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required (discount for younger siblings and siblings under 1 yr old can attend for free) Your little farm explorers will become fully immersed in what life is like here at Chestnut Hill. Each session will have a different theme. Activities may include brushing goats, planting seeds, and other age-appropriate hands-on farm “chores,” as well as art projects and stories. Little explorers are welcome to attend each week for new experiences! For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program of the Southborough Senior Center is back. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Weekly, casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, September 4, 2021
- Drop in Art with Lanting (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library lawn: Join us for this fun drop-in art project outside! Children are invited to learn about printmaking and will make their very own notepad. For children ages 5 and up. No registration necessary.
Monday, September 6, 2021
- Labor Day Holiday: Federal Holiday. No public school. Town offices closed (including Library and Senior Center).
Tuesday, September 7, 2021
- No School – Rosh Hashana: In observance of the Jewish New Year, Southborough and Northborough public schools are closed.
Updated (8/29/21 3:10 pm): I added the Stamp ceremony on Wednesday morning.