Last week, Algonquin Boys Lacrosse lost for the first time this season, 7-14 to St. John’s. That put their record at 4-1 this spring. (Earlier in the week, they beat Groton-Dunstable 11-9.) Prior to the loss, the Telegram covered the team’s challenging but promising season ahead:
Algonquin Regional boys’ lacrosse has looked impressive, going undefeated through three games — but the schedule will soon heat up thanks to a slimmed-down Mid-Wach A this season that only includes the Titans, Shrewsbury and Wachusett.
With Westboro and Groton-Dunstable both dropping to Mid-Wach B in boys’ lacrosse, that has allowed Algonquin to beef up its schedule even more than usual, and coach Matt Nofsinger thinks his players are ready for the challenge.
“I feel like if you have good goalkeeping, a good faceoff guy and a couple guys that can handle the ball and are pretty consistent with shooting high-percentage shots, you have a chance to play well against any team,” Nofsinger said. “I think we have that.”
Girls Outdoor Track’s record improved its record to 1-1 by beating Shrewsbury 85-60 last week. The Telegram shared:
“It came as a surprise because I think we only had 40 percent of our team,” senior captain Grace Sciacca said. “It was a slim team. Everyone worked hard, and we pulled through.”
Last year, the Mid-Wach A league meet wasn’t contested due to a shortened MIAA spring season, according to [girls’ track and field coach Pat Galvin], and there were no team scores for the Dick Mulligan Relays. It’s conceivable Algonquin could have collected as many as four major championships.
Galvin, who also coaches the Titans girls’ cross-country and indoor track programs, credits strong senior leadership for Algonquin’s recent success.
You can read more here.
Below is the latest status of other Titans teams (with links to Telegram’s game recaps):
- Girls Lacrosse’s record is 3-2. They lost to Acton-Boxborough 8-18 last week.
- Baseball’s record is 2-5. Last week, they beat Auburn 5-0, and beat Shepherd Hill 11-3, but lost to Wachusett 1-6.
- Boys Volleyball’s record is 3-3. Last week, they lost to Andover 2-3, but beat Fitchburg 3-0 and Minnechaug Regional 3-1.
- Softball’s record is 2-3. Last week, they lost to Auburn 1-14 then beat Fitchburg 37-14
- Boys Outdoor Track’s record is 0-2 after losing to Shrewsbury 62-83.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for this week.
Monday, April 25, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Baseball vs. Marlborough @ Marlborough High
- 4:00 pm – Girls Golf vs. Auburn @ Pakachoag Golf Course
- 4:00 pm – Girls Lacrosse vs. Medway @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Boys Lacrosse vs. Medway @ Medway High School
- 4:00 pm – Softball vs. St. Bernard’s High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Girls Tennis vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Boys Tennis vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ Nashoba
- 5:30 pm – Boys Volleyball vs. St. John’s @ St John’s
Tuesday, April 26, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Girls Golf vs. Notre Dame Academy – Worcester @ Westborough Country Club
- 4:30 pm – Girls Tennis Game vs. Andover @ Andover
- 4:30 pm – Boys Tennis Game vs. Andover @ Algonquin
Wednesday, April 27, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Baseball vs. Leominster @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Girls Outdoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Boys Outdoor Track Boys Outdoor Track vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Shepherd Hill Regional High School
- 4:00 pm – Softball vs. Marlborough High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Girls Tennis vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – Boys Tennis vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett
- 5:30 pm – Boys Rugby vs. Xaverian Brothers @ Xaverian Brothers
Thursday, April 28, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Girls Golf vs. Quabbin Regional High School @ Westborough Country Club
- 4:00 pm – Boys Lacrosse vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Algonquin
- 5:30 pm – Boys Volleyball vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 6:30 pm – Girls Lacrosse vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
Friday, April 29, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Baseball vs. Westborough High School @ Westborough High School
- 4:00 pm – Softball vs. North Middlesex Regional @ North Middlesex
- 5:30 pm – Girls Rugby vs. Lincoln-Sudbury Regional @ Algonquin
Saturday, April 30, 2022
- 10:00 am – Girls Outdoor Track District Relays @ Shrewsbury
- 10:00 am – Boys Outdoor Track Boys Outdoor Track District Relays @ Shrewsbury
(To check for changes or find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)