Seat: Board of Selectmen – 2 year term
(vote for 1 candidate)
Why I am running for office:
Whereas I have served as a Selectman and understand the role of the Board, Town Administrator and the other town boards, I believe I can immediately be an effective member of this newly expanded Board of Selectmen.
Why I am the right candidate for the position:
During my nine years as a Selectman, three years as chair, the Board worked with Department Heads, Committees and Residents together and accomplished the following significant items:
- Reorganized Central Dispatch, providing 24 hour service for Police, Fire, DPW
- Supported the negotiated memorandum of agreements between Recreation and the MDC for the 9-11 Field and to create recreation trails
- Supported the efforts of Summer Nights and created the first Summer Nights Committee
- Negotiated a combined use of the Arts Center with Recreation
- Established the Municipal Facilities Committee to research the various Town departments (non-school) space and facilities needs
- Initiated Route 85 and Route 30 road improvements
- Upgraded the water system without adding new water tanks
- Purchased 109 acre Conservation restriction on Chestnut Hill Road
- Implemented the GASB (Government Accounting Standards Bureau) as the Town standard
- Purchased 9 Cordaville Road, which is now home to the Council on Aging, Veteran’s Agent, Board of Health, and Facilities Department
- Supported various school construction/renovation projects
My priorities/Key issues:
There are many key issues facing Southborough. Among them:
- Main Street reconstruction project due to the funding mechanism and timing
- Being involved in the land development of the Park Central property
- Continuing our focus on our debt versus revenue situation, while assessing building and department needs
- Staying informed about the impact of all large projects in Town and our neighboring towns
- Continuing support and enhancement of regional agreements
- Finding more opportunities for self-funding of projects
I have lived in Southborough for 43 years, where I have raised my family with my husband, Peter. We are the parents of Peter (PJ), Adam and Laura who also call Southborough home.
- In addition to my three terms (2002-2011) as a Selectman, I have served this town in other capacities.
- Elected positions –Southborough Housing Authority, Regional School Committee
- Appointed positions – SHOPC (as Selectman’s representative), MBTA Study Committee, Council on Aging, Advisory Board, PILOT Committee (as Selectman’s representative), and Election Officer.
- School volunteer—Finn, Neary, and Woodward schools, SPED programs
- Community volunteer – Cub/Boy Scouts, Police and Fire Dept Fund Raisers, SMOC meal program, care/ maintain the garden at the All Wars Monument.
I pride myself on listening to all sides of the issues and acting ethically in the best interests of the community. I look forward to continued service within the Town of Southborough, and ask for your vote on May 12, 2014.
To contact me to help support my candidacy:
I am happy to speak with any member of our community about my candidacy. You contact me at 508-485-8683.
[Editor’s Note: If you would like to endorse this candidate, you can comment below. This section is a mud-free, shenanigan-free zone! So, endorsements must include your name and street name. And no criticisms or questions are to be posted on this page. You can include your reason for endorsement as long as it’s not slinging mud at other candidates.]