Where are the cygnets? Looking for news on Southborough’s swans

by beth on September 12, 2017

Post image for Where are the cygnets? Looking for news on Southborough’s swans

Above:  In May, a reader shared the good news of the cygnets hatching via photo. Now another reader is wondering what happened to them. (image cropped from photo by Beth Klein)

A reader reached out to ask if I could find out what happened to the baby swans on the Sudbury Reservoir.

I know that many residents and readers have made a habit of watching the swans on their regular walks or runs down Parkerville Road. One reader noted that the pair of swans on the Reservoir had hatched 6 cygnets in the spring. Not long after, he observed that there were only 3 cygnets left – then only 1.

He writes that 2-3 months ago:

I came across a a guy who was preparing to put a kayak into the reservoir off Parkerville. I stopped and spoke with him, noting watercraft were prohibited. He explained that he’d already called the authorities and had secured permission. He was on a mission to rescue the cygnet as it had a fish hook in its bill (ouch!). I had observed the cob and pen a few days before – one was in the water, the other onshore with the cygnet, which seemed to be sleeping.

Since that time, I have seen the cob and pen only once or twice – no cygnet!

He is hoping another reader can shed light on the cygnets’ fate. So am I.

Do you know what happened to the last cygnet? Was a rescue operation successful?

Do you have information on what killed the first five?

If you know something worth sharing, please post a comment below.

1 Arborist September 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM

They are not native to this area, in fact they are considered invasive, anything could have happened to them , like the story of the big fish eats the little fish, it’s all part of nature

2 Pat D September 13, 2017 at 3:43 PM

The swans may not be native to this area but they are beautiful to watch. As far as I am concerned, “invasive” applies to the nasty, awful Canadian geese that spoil the water and all our town fields and yards!!

3 saywhat September 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM

My understanding is that someone bought and/or brought the pair of swans to the reservoir a couple of years ago – invasive or not.

…and regarding the obnoxious, nasty & lazy Canadian geese – yes they foul fields, lawns and the water in the reservoirs – which is now brown with algae – thanks to all their fecal activity.

BTW, an intermittently strobing amber light will effectively drive them away

4 jim September 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM

saywhat,

Could the schools use an amber light to get the geese off the Woodward soccer fields? Pretty awful stuff for small kids to have to walk on.

5 saywhat September 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Jim:

The schools could. I advised the groundskeepers at Fay of the same thing, since their athletic fields are regularly fouled by ‘Geeses Feces’, although Fay has not installed any
of the lighting.

I worked at a facility a few years ago that had the issue with geese and the building’s facilities management people installed the amber strobe lights – it does work – after a fe weeks, the geese abandoned the location and did not return (hooray!!!).