The Board of Selectmen last week initiated their search for a permanent police chief, and they want your help filling seats on the search committee.
While only the selectmen have the authority to hire a police chief, the search committee will be charged with interviewing candidates and providing a list of recommendations.
The search committee for former Police Chief William Webber was comprised of three people, but this time around selectmen are looking for somewhere around seven. They want wide representation including the following:
- A town resident who is an attorney (i.e. public defender, criminal justice background, etc)
- A representative of the school system
- A representative of social services or a senior citizen representative
- A law enforcement member with no association with the Southborough police department
- A Southborough Personnel Board member
- A chief with no connection to the Southborough police department
- Citizens at large from Southborough
If you’re interested, fill out a volunteer application and submit it along with a copy of your resume to the Selectmen’s Office, 17 Common Street, Southborough, MA 01772, or e-mailed to email@example.com.
The Board will be considering committee appointments at their upcoming meetings in May and early June.
Update: The deadline for submitting volunteer applications is June 3.