Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

by susan on December 11, 2012

Post image for Open discussion thread: Ask questions, share opinions

Above: A Christmas display at the Southborough Historical Museum

Time for another open thread. For those of you new to the blog, the open discussion thread is your place to ask questions, sound off on town issues, or share information with other readers. Here are some suggestions to get you started:

• Post a note about things that you’re selling or giving away, or things that you want
  • Share notices about upcoming events (Southborough or otherwise)
  • Register your thoughts on town issues or news stories
  • Point out interesting or helpful resources

You can add comments to the thread throughout the week. Check back often to see new comments. (If you read the blog via email or RSS, you might want to check the site from time to time for new comments.)

To view past open discussion threads, click here.

1 John Butler December 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Some people have asked here what can be done to support the Gulbankian family in their struggle with the Town over the rights to operate their business.

One thing would be to be present at the ZBA hearing TONIGHT at the Senior Center at 7:30PM. They are requesting an extension of time to comply with the order of the ZBA.

2 John Kendall December 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I was there as well as you. Nice to see some supportive people there. It was surprising to hear that the board had suggested an extra month for an extension. Maybe things are looking up since the board was shuffled.

3 susan December 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I couldn’t make the meeting. I take it the board voted in favor of an extension? How long did they give the family?

4 John Kendall December 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Until May 30, 2013

5 Eileen Samberg December 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

How do I donate to the Village Society (Community House)? I had an envelope, but seem to have misplaced it. Thanks.

6 John Kendall December 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Send a check to the Southborough Village Society 28 Main Street 01772

7 Carol December 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Does anyone know who is responsible for maintaining the Sudbury Reservoir Trail? I have heard that some areas are not passable. Who is suppose to be mowing it during the warmer months, volunteers or a town department? The trail from Johnson Rd/Northborough Rd to the water treatment plant is suppose to be open, but how do you access it? The map is available for the trail on the Recreation website.

8 Tim Martel December 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I think its the DCR.

9 resident December 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Looks like the new Country Market is open this morning. I can’t wait to check it out. Congrats to Tony and his staff for pulling this together so quickly!

10 Lisa December 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Where is the Country Market located?

11 susan December 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

It’s on Route 9 westbound in the same building as the original Red Barn. Check out this post I did a little bit ago: http://www.mysouthborough.com/2012/10/10/selectmen-approve-license-for-new-country-market-on-route-9-westbound/

12 Fayville Resident December 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

CSX has been running some late trains lately. Last night the a train came through at 3:30 AM, along with the loud whistle waking my son up. Is there anything residents can do to request they do not run their trains so late? I’m assuming the answer is no, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows about it.

13 Al Hamilton December 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

For all intents and purposes there is nothing you can do. The rail roads are regulated by the Federal Govt. State and Local govt are almost completely powerless when it comes to railroads.

14 Tim Martel December 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You could petition the Selectmen to add a new quiet zone.

Department of Transportation, FRA 49 CFR Parts 222 and 229

15 Mom of Two December 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I noticed this, too. I didn’t hear the 3:30am train, but I did notice one at 10:30pm one night. Never heard that before!

16 Christine December 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I am curious if anyone has any recommendations for local flooring companies. We are looking to have our wood floors refinished/replaced and would love some local recommendations. Thanks!

17 Nancy Morris December 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sean Morris is a hard wood flooring guy and is a local person He is very reasonable, and does an excellent job. He has lots of references… 508 277 5060

18 John Kendall December 13, 2012 at 7:57 AM

There are a LOT of floor guys in the area. I would Google wood floor refinishing, look at websites, then call and ask for references.

19 Trixie December 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Now that $4.8 million has fallen into St. Mark’s School’s lap – http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/features/x719505334/PDF-guru-donates-4-8-million-to-St-Marks-in-Southborough#comments, do you think our town will get a decent pilot payment?

20 Deb Moore December 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

A few weeks ago, we noticed that some of our trees and shrubs had been tagged with blue tags. The tags say “WLF3” or other numbers, but all WLF. Does anyone know what this is about? Some of these are far from the road or property line, which concerns me.

21 Al Hamilton December 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Deb

These sound like “Wet Land Flags” They are used by a developer (or possibly the town/state) to identify the boundaries of wet lands prior to a development of some sort.

They should not be marking wetlands on your property only the property that is being developed. You might want to contact the Conservation Commission or the Town Planner or Planning Board to ask if they know about any possible development.

If the shrubs in question are along the road they may be in the Town’s right of way. The Town owns a strip of land along the side of the road that most of us maintain and think of as part of our yards. For newer roads it is probably 25 ft from the center line. If it is along the road you might try calling the DPW and asking if they know what is going on.

22 Deb Moore December 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The neighbor is having some work done, and this may be related to that, since there have been hay-bale barriers put up. It’s a bit odd, especially since one of the sporadically tagged trees is the peach tree I planted last spring. The part of my yard in question looks a lot like it ought to be the neighbor’s. Thanks for the answer!

23 Matthew December 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Any way of getting a good definition of “townie” as it is used here in Southborough?
Also it would be fun to find out what percentage of the town can be labeled as such.

24 Jack December 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Townie……born here, raised here, raised your own family here, own a burial plot here so you are ALWAYS in Southborough. That’s my definition anyway….

25 Pat Q January 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

If you need a Thin Mint fix, this is your lucky weekend! There will be a troop selling Girl Scout Cookies tomorrow, Saturday January 5th from 10-2pm at Town Center Plaza (near Dunkin Donuts).