Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Tuesday, May 6, 2014:
- NSPAC’s “Coffee and Connect” (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Northborough Library: Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council monthly sessions are an opportunity for attendees to connect with others in the special education community. For more information, go to www.nspac.org
- Steve Ulfelder’s Book Launch (7:00 pm) @ Brookline Booksmith, Brookline: The resident is holding a book launch for his 4th Conway Sax series mystery novel Wolverine Bros. Freight & Storage. The event is free and open to the public and he is welcoming town residents to join him. For more information, click here.
Wednesday, May 7, 2014:
- New England Aquarium Bus Trip (10:00 – 3:30 pm): Bus leaves from and returns to the Senior Center. Enjoy all the exhibits and a show at the IMax. Bring your lunch or purchase at the Aquarium Café. Suggested Donation: $20 for COA members, $30 for non-members. Please pre-register by calling 508-229-4453.
- Candidates’ Night (6:30 – 9:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Library Trustees will host their annual candidates’ night for the upcoming town election. Meet & Greet at 6:30 pm; program begins at 7:00 pm. Statements from candidates in contested races, followed by Q&A. Former Town Moderator John Wilson will serve as moderator.
- SOLF’s Annual Meeting (7:00 pm) @ Community House: Featuring Dr. Thomas French from MA Fish and Wildlife. His presentation will address recent and projected changes to the suburban wildlife of our region, including the increased sightings of bear and moose. The annual Elaine Beals Conservation Award will be presented to a person who has worked to help protect the environment in Southborough. There will be a short business meeting. Refreshments will be served.
Thursday, May 8, 2014:
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
- Community Yoga Class (5:30 – 6:30 pm) @ Southboro Senior Center: Malu Doherty of Kripalu Yoga is holding a yoga clas that is open and free to the entire community. This is a gentle practice that focuses on simple stretching postures and breath to release stress and relax the body and mind. Feel free to bring a friend or family member and don’t forget your yoga mat too! For more information, please contact Malu Doherty (508) 022-1065 or email@example.com.
- Neary School Incoming 4th Grade Parent Orientation (6:30 pm)
- APTO meeting (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: Algonquin Parent Teacher Organization meeting
Friday, May 9, 2014:
- Breakfast Club: American Red Cross (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Representatives from The American Red Cross will speak about their mission to provide compassionate care to those in need through their network of donors, volunteers and employees. TJ’s from Ashland will be sponsoring the free breakfast for resident seniors. Pre-register by calling 508-229-4453.
Saturday, May 10, 2014:
- Southborough Gardeners Annual Plant Sale (8:00 am – 2:00 pm) @ Community House, intersection of routes 30 and 85: Come early for the best selection of plants shared by the Gardeners from their own gardens as well as local nursery stock. Wide selection of annuals, perennials and hanging baskets, which are all suitable for spring planting and Mother’s Day gifts. Proceeds from the public sale will support town beautification and Southborough Gardeners’ Scholarship Fund. For more details, see dedicated post.
- Electronic, Appliance, and Bicycle Recycle Day (9:00 am – 2:00 pm) @ Saint Anne’s Church parking lot, 20 Boston Road: For a small fee, recycle you electronics and appliances. For free, recycle sewing machines and bicycles. A portion of the event proceeds will be paid to St. Anne’s Church. For more information contact Dennis Wood at 508-277-7513 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Fees and more details are in calendar item on the Event Calendar page.)
- Peter Rabbit Puppet Show (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Fay’s Primary School, 25 Middle Road: You’re invited to Peter Rabbit’s birthday party! However, no birthday for Peter would be complete without a juicy carrot to munch on. With the help of his little sister Flopsy, Peter ventures into Farmer McGregor’s garden in search of the tasty treat. This modern adaptation of the classic Beatrix Potter tale is presented with large colorful hand puppets by Pumpernickel Puppets. This event is free to attend but space is limited so please register online at www.fayschool.org/saturdays.
- Steeple Coffeehouse – Jason Anick Quintet (7:30 pm) @ Pilgrim Church’s Fellowship Hall, 15 Common Street: Concert and CD release party for album “Tipping Point” by Jason Anick Quintet. Doors open at 7:00 pm for 7:30 show Please bring a donation for the Southborough Food Pantry. Proceeds from our coffee and dessert purchases go towards local charities. In advance: $15 General/$12 Students & Seniors (Brown Paper Tickets) At the door: $18 General/$15 Students & Seniors. For more details, check www.steeplecoffeehouse.org or call 508 281 9995.
Updated (5/6/14 9:20 am): Coffeehouse post was full of errors! Prices and links are corrected.