Even long time Southborough residents may not realize how much the town has to offer in free recreation for adults and kids of all ages.
You may know about the town’s six playgrounds. But are you familiar with all of the fields and courts the public has the right to use (when not “in use” by the town)? *
So pick up your tennis racket or basketball this summer and head out for some fun.
Outdoor athletic fields and courts:
To find where these are located, refer to the official list from the Southborough Recreation Department, but note changes below:
- Tennis Courts
- Baseball Diamonds
- Athletic Fields (for soccer, lacrosse, etc.)
- Sand Volleyball Court (Note: this is actually at Neary School, not Woodward)
- Picnic Pavilion
- Skate/skateboard Park (Note: this isn’t on the list, but is located in one of the Finn School Tennis Courts)
*[Note: Outdoor facilities are open to any residents for “free recreational use” (not private classes) when they aren’t in use by a town team or Recreation Department camp/class. Camps and classes are scheduled throughout the summer, so courts won’t always be available.]
For older residents, the Southborough Senior Center also has a Bocce court. The building is temporarily out of service for maintenance. But it is scheduled to re-open July 13th. After that, Bocce games are organized semi-weekly on Tuesdays at 10:00 am and Thursdays at 10:30 am. But if you have someone to play with it, you can make use of it anytime.
For those of you with kids, you probably already know of at least one playground near your home. But in case your looking for a change of scenery, here’s the full list:
- Harold E. Fay Memorial Field & Playground (aka Fayville Playground) – Central Street
- Southborough Arts Center – 21 Highland Street
- Town House/Pilgrim Church (aka the Tot Lot) – 17 Common Street (This little playground for tots is tucked back behind the parking lot)
School playgrounds (These are closed to the public during school hours, but otherwise open to the community. Which means have at ’em until school starts on September 1st!)
- Albert S. Woodward School – 28 Cordaville Road
- Margaret A. Neary School – 53 Parkerville Road
- Mary E. Finn School – 60 Richards Road