Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more details and the full list of events in town, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Sunday, November 1, 2015
- Daylight Savings Ends: Don’t forget to Fall Back by turning your clocks back an hour today.
Monday, November 2, 2015
- Presentation on sleep in kids and teens (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Dr. Judith Owens, MD, Director of Sleep Medicine at Boston Children’s Hospital will present “The ABCs of ZZZs: What Every Parent Needs to Know about the Importance of Sleep in Kids and Teens.” This event is free of charge to the public. It’s part of the district’s new speaker series on educational topics of concern to parents.
Tuesday, November 3, 2015
- Owl Habitats and Pellets (3:45 – 4:45 pm) @ Southborough Library: Hands-On Nature willteach 5- 8 year olds about owls. True to the company name, the instructor will be asking kids to get really hands-on: Learn all about habitats and diets for owls and other birds of prey. Take apart owl pellets to learn about what owls eat. Make an owl project to take home. Space is limited, so you’ll need to register at the Children’s Room desk or by calling 508-485-5031.
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
- NSPAC Coffee and Connect (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council’s monthly gathering. It’s a chance for parents/guardians to connect with other members of the community facing similar challenges. Each meeting also includes a specific discussion topic (chosen by participants) to share and brainstorm on challenges or unmet needs.
- Krosslink Kickoff Event (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library Main Floor: In partnership with Krosslink.org, this program is aimed at supporting local entrepreneurs as they jump-start their companies. Includes expert guest speakers and business counselors. (For details, see dedicated post.)
Thursday, November 5, 2015
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
Friday, November 6, 2015
- Portraits in Silhouette (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ 21 Highland St. South Union Bldg.: Handcut silhouettes (for a fee) of ages 6 months+, by appointment only. For details, see dedicated post.
- Free Mom & Tot Yoga class (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ 21 Highland St. South Union Bldg. (2nd floor): FALL FUN WITH FRIENDS. Complimentary Mom and Tot Yoga Class with fall crafts and snacks. Reconnect with your body and enjoy time with your little one; Simple energizing and rejuvenating poses; Toddlers develop space orientation and balance; Combine games and songs with postures; Feel stronger and more centered. Please call 508-229-4452 to sign up by 11/5.
- Free Mom & Tot Yoga class (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ 21 Highland St. South Union Bldg. (2nd floor): FALL FUN WITH FRIENDS. Complimentary Mom and Tot Yoga Class with fall crafts and snacks. Reconnect with your body and enjoy time with your little one; Simple energizing and rejuvenating poses; Toddlers develop space orientation and balance; Combine games and songs with postures; Feel stronger and more centered. Please call 508-229-4452 to sign up by 11/5.
- Poetry Workshop Series (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library, main floor: The Southborough Public Library & the Worcester County Poetry Association have teamed up to bring a short series of free poetry writing workshops to the community. “Breathing Heart” focuses on examining work of a single poet each session. This session focuses on the work of Mark Doty. Through reading & discussion, generate work based on technique, theme, and imagination. Bring your favorite writing utensils and notebook. Call the library to register: 508-485-5031.
Saturday, November 7, 2015
- Scouting for Food (9:00 am): Leave your non-perishible contributions to Scouting for Food (for the Southborough Food Pantry) at the end of your driveway by 9 am. (Please check expiration dates first.) That is the time that scouts will begin picking up contributions. (Though they may not get to your house for a few hours depending on their route and schedule). Anyone is also welcome to bring their donations directly to Pilgrim Church. There, scout volunteers will be sorting and organizing collected donations through at least noon. (Volunteers will be offered pizza for lunch.) Or you can bring your donation directly to the Southborough Food Pantry at Pilgrim Church.
Updated (11/3/15 8:50 am): I neglected to include Wednesday night’s Krosslink event for entrepreneurs and have since learned about the Portraits in Silhoutte event on Friday morning.