Nonprofits or Town organizations looking to make a difference in our town can apply for a grant from the Southborough Community Fund. The Southborough “Town Fund” under the Foundation for Metrowest is accepting applications for 2016 grants through September 9th.
SCF is seeking to “support community needs and opportunities and provide ways for donors to make an immediate impact on their community”.
To do that, they are looking for proposals that:
bring innovative thinking to big issues and small ones – all for the benefit of Southborough. We support programs that increase volunteerism and community involvement, strengthen civic engagement, and emphasize collaborations that enhance community initiatives.
To qualify proposed projects should fall within the following priorities:
- Family and Human Services/Support – We support programs that assist families, youth and seniors; help underserved populations; and create pathways to overall quality of life.
- Arts & Culture – We support organizations that contribute to the cultural vitality of the community, promote the visual & performing arts, and work to preserve the historic character of Southborough.
- Environment -We support programs that preserve the natural resources of the town and promote environmental awareness and engagement.
And they should be proposed by a nonprofit or Town organization operating in Southborough. But, schools and youth sports programs shouldn’t apply as SCF explains they “are currently well funded and stewarded.”
So, what kinds of organizations does SCF fund? Last fall, the fund awarded $50,000 in grants to:
- Assabet Valley Mastersingers
- The Friends of the Southborough Council on Aging (COA) (2 grants)
- Heritage Chorale, Inc
- HOPEworldwide Food Bank
- New Hope, Inc.
- Southborough Fire Department
- Southborough Friends of Youth Commission (SYFS)
- Southborough Open Land Foundation
- Southborough Recreation Department
- Southborough Town Agency Collaborative
- Pilgrim Church- Messiah Community Chorus
- Woodward Memorial School- Woodward Green Team
And for more on other Metrowest grant opportunities, click here.