Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Monday, September 26, 2016
- The Glass is Half Full (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Senior Center: A free training with toolkit for people caring for a loved one at home who has memory challenges. (No Professional Caregivers please.) Refreshments will be served. In this two hour workshop participants will learn practical, field-tested methods for creating a day full of rich experiences for their loved one utilizing Hearthstone’s international acclaimed “I’m Still Here” approach. Sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
- Lunchtime Cabaret with Ben and Brad (12:00 pm) @ Senior Center: Noon Lunch: Chicken Supreme Dinner, salad, dessert and drink 12:30 Performance – Ben & Brad sing songs from the Great American Songbook, featuring George & Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Rodgers & Hart, Cole Porter and more. Also Broadway show tunes from “West Side Story”, and “The Boys From Syracuse”. Sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453. Suggested Donation: $6 Friends of Council on Aging Members, $10 Non-Members
- Forum on Environmental Legislation (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: This forum on climate change and the environment is a great opportunity to learn how activists, legislators and local environmental groups are addressing the environmental issues that affect us all. Presentations by guest speakers and local leaders will be followed by discussion and refreshments. See dedicated post for details.
Friday, September 30, 2016
- Bingo (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Come join Lena and Michael Gagliardi from “Around the Clock”for an afternoon of Bingo, fun, prizes and of course, jokes. Bingo will start promptly at noon. You can purchase a pre-Bingo lunch for $3 (please sign up if you plan to use that option.) That begins at 11:15 am. Or join them with your own lunch. Lunch will be chef salad, three bean salads, rolls and truffles. Please sign up through the Senior Center at (508) 229‐4453.
Saturday, October 1, 2016
- First Community Church Fall Yard Sale (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ 137 Southville Road: Fundraiser selling household goods, toys, books, clothing, furniture and baked goods. (rain or shine)
- Puppet Making (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Join Bigelow Center for the Arts in making special “3D jellyfish”. Participants can march with the creatures in the Heritage Day parade. Feel free to bring in an umbrella to use for your jellyfish.
Sunday, October 2, 2016
- Blessing of the Animals (4:00 – 4:15/20 pm) @ St. Mark’s Episcopal Church front lawn: Gather with your dogs, cats, gerbils, chickens, bearded lizards, and other animals (leashed and caged as needed), or even young kids’ stuffed animals, to receive the annual blessing. Donations of pet food for the Southborough Food Pantry will be welcome.
Updated (9/26/16 10:08 am): I forgot to include the Planning for Climate Change forum.
Updated (9/27/16 9:51 am): I neglected to include the two events by local churches being held this weekend.