Algonquin’s Arts department has been blogging news from the school. Stories include announcements on two events coming up soon (or three, depending on how you slice them.)
Coming up this Wednesday, the school is hosting a “Double Header” with an art exhibit opening in their “Boroughs Gallery” followed by the Fall Choral Concert. And on November 1st, the school hill hold its annual Fall Instrumental Concert.
For details on those events and other fine & performing arts highlights from the Gonk.Arts posts, see the stories below:
Fine & Performing Arts Double Header! October 25
The new Business of Art Thru Gallery Management class has decided to focus its first show around the topic of “abandoned, lost & forgotten.” They hope to draw peer interest from the season, with the reception a week prior to Halloween. They researched and contacted artists to lend their work, and will host the reception on Oct 25th from 5:30-7pm.
It’s a Fine & Performing Arts double-header! After visiting the “Abandoned, Lost & Forgotten” exhibit, walk on down to the ARHS auditorium for the Fall Chorus Concert!
The Fall Choral Concert is on October 25 at 7:30 pm, in the ARHS auditorium. The curricular students will present World music from South Africa, Japan, Spain, Eastern Europe and Nigeria. There will be American folk songs and spirituals as well as madrigals from England. There will be percussion ensembles, a student accompanist and vocal soloist from grades 9-12. The grand finale will be a giant barbershop style version of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da by Lennon and McCartney. The concert also features three after-school groups, Ladies First, Algoncappella and A-Gents, singing pop tunes that they’ve arranged and prepared.
Fall Instrumental Concert, November 1 at 7:30pm
The Fall Instrumental Concert is on Wednesday, November 1 at 7:30pm in the ARHS auditorium. The Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, String Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble I and Jazz Ensemble II will all make their debut performances for the 2017-2018 school year. Students will perform folk songs such as Danny Boy and Ahrirang (Korean Folk Song), orchestral transcriptions: Mahler Symphony No. 1 in D Major, and some Latin jazz classics.
ARHS Photo Students Work On Display
The High School Photography and Altered Images Exhibition, hosted by MAEA (Mass Art Ed Association), is on display from Monday, October 2, 2017 – Friday, November 17, 2017 at the Massachusetts State Transportation Building, 10 Park Plaza, Boston, MA. Exhibition hours are 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday (Closed Holidays & Weekends)
First Gig of the Year!
Students from Mr. Eric Vincent’s Jazz Improv class had their first “gig” of the year on Monday, October 2 at the Wachusett Country Club in West Boylston. They performed an hour of jazz music at the St. Rose of Lima charity golf tournament. The annual event raises money for youth services within the local community, and it provides an opportunity for our music students to put what they do in the classroom to use in a real world setting.
Students involved were: Ethan Cardillo, gr 10, guitar; Mateo Oyola, gr 10, bari sax; Justin Moyer, gr 11, trumpet; Ahren Shreeve, gr 12, guitar; Maya Sagarin, gr 11, trombone; Mikey Robertson, gr 12, alto sax; Ayah Bashmeh, gr 10, bass; Arthur Andreev, gr 10, drums
Save the Dates
The following is a list of ARHS Music student events for the remainder of the school year:
- Wednesday, October 25- Fall Choral Concert, 7:30pm @ ARHS
- Saturday, October 28- ACDA Honor Choir Festival, TBD @ UMass Amherst
- Wednesday, November 1- Fall Instrumental Concert, 7:30pm @ ARHS
- Saturday, November 18- Central District Auditions, TBD @ Grafton HS (Snowdate, November 19)
- Nov 30, Dec 1, Dec 2- “Legally Blonde-The Musical,” 7:00pm @ ARHS
- Thursday, December 21, 2017- Holiday Festival, 7:00pm @ ARHS
- Wednesday, January 3, 2018- Tri-M Induction Ceremony, 7:00pm @ ARHS
- January 10, January 12 & January 13, Central District Festival, Rehearsals @ Wachusett RHS, Concert @ Mechanics Hall
- Saturday, January 20, 2018- All-State Auditions, TBD @ Shrewsbury HS (Snowdate, January 21)
- Monday, February 12, 2018- Band-o-rama, 7:00pm @ ARHS Gym
- Tuesday, February 27, 2018- Jazz Night w/ Guest Artist, 7:00pm @ ARHS
- March 1, March 2, March 3- All-State Music Festival/Conference, Rehearsals @ Seaport WTC, Concert @ Symphony Hall
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018- MAJE Jazz Festival, TBD @ ARHS Snowdate, March 8
- Saturday, March 10, 2018- UNH Jazz Festival, TBD @ UNH
- Tuesday, March 13, 2018- Spring Concert for 9th Grade Ensembles & Orchestra, 7:30pm @ ARHS
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018- Spring Concert for 10th-12th Grade Ensembles, 7:30pm @ ARHS
- March 23, March 24, March 25- MICCA Choral/Instrumental Festival
- Wednesday, April 11, 2018- Tri-M Open Mic Night, 7:00pm @ ARHS
- April 26- April 29, 2018- Pending NYC Trip
- Saturday May 5, 2018- MICCA Solo/Ensemble Festival, TBD @ CCRHS
- Sat, May 12, 2018- MICCA Solo/Ensemble Honors Concert, Lexington MA
- Monday, May 28, 2018- Memorial Day Parades, TBD @ Sboro & Nboro
- Wednesday, May 30, 2018- POPS Concert, 7:00pm @ ARHS Gym
- Sunday, June 3, 2018- ARHS Graduation, 2:00pm @ ARHS Gym