Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this week.
(Scroll to the bottom for more on daily events/opportunities this summer.* For summer camps, click here.)
Monday, August 8, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center, see newsletter. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Teen Summer Art Club (2:30 – 3:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: For Ages 12 to 18. Work on a variety of creative projects like drawing, collage, coloring, or button making. For details, see related post.
Tuesday, August 9, 2022
- Animal Adventures (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Lawn (or Main Floor if inclement weather): Meet and learn about 8-10 exotic animals from an experienced zookeeper. There will be a chance to pet some of the animals! All ages, no registration required. (Sponsored by the Friends of the Southborough Library.) For details, see dedicated post.
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Need help with technology? Library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist you. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary. Sessions are limited to no more than 1 hour.
- Poetry Workshop (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Bring in five copies of original poetry to share. The group will provide supportive feedback. If you don’t have a poem, come anyway and share your insights.
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center, see newsletter. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Elder Law advice (10:00 – 10:45 am) @ phone or zoom: An Elder Law attorney will offer Southborough seniors free individualized legal advice during scheduled remote sessions. For details, see Senior Center newsletter.
- Senior Movie Matinee (12:30 – 2:10 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pre-registration is required (and attendance may be limited). The movie screened is Belfast. (The movie is free, but an optional lunch at noon is for suggested $5 donation.) For details, see page 9 of the newsletter.
- Outdoor Story Times (4:00 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library Lawn: description. Join the Library for story time outside on the Library Lawn. (Please bring blankets/chairs.) For all ages, no registration necessary.
- Comics Academy Reception (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library main level: Students who took part in the academy run by Graphic novelist Jonathan Todd will get a chance to share copies of their completed graphic novels. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Summer Concert Series (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Neary School outdoor stage by the tennis courts, 53 Parkerville Road: Southborough Recreation’s Free family friendly concerts. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs. Bring your dinner or buy one there. Headliner: Paxton Crossing; Scheduled Food Truck: Sabrosa. For details, see dedicated post.
- Open Lab for Ideas (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Program for 12-18 yr olds to explore how they can use Library equipment to take creative project ideas and make them a reality.. For details, see related post.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (7:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: There will be a small gathering and reception to honor participants of the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards or RYLA from the Rotary Club of Southborough.
Thursday, August 11, 2022
- Advanced Tai Chi (10:15 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library: Participants from the Southborough Senior Center’s class will be meeting at the library over the summer. Want to practice your poses? Or make new friends? Fellow experienced Tai Chi participants are welcome to come check it out. Drop-in, no registration.
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453
Friday, August 12, 2022
- Canasta (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ zoom: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Kids Jam (11:00 – 11:30 am) @ Southborough Library Lawn: Traditional and popular children’s songs suitable for newborns through preschool age. Drop-In, no registration necessary. Children must be accompanied by parent/caregiver. (The outdoor event will be cancelled if it rains.) For details, see related post.
*Some other opportunities that aren’t special/weekly events (like Art on the Trails or Summer Reading program activities) can be found under my posts on Summer Fun for Adults and What to Do with Kids this Summer. (I’ll be adding to this tagged list throughout the summer.)