Don’t forget that it’s a long weekend for most of us!
Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Sunday, January 15, 2023
- DIY Winter Wonderland Garden Workshop (3:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Gulbankian Farms, 40 Mt Vickery Road: Beat the winter blues and join us to make your own winter wonderland garden to bloom and thrive inside all season with minimal watering. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see Facebook event.
Monday, January 16, 2023 — Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Schools, Facilities & Offices Closed: Public schools, Town offices, the Southborough Library, and Southborough Senior Center are closed in honor of the holiday.
Tuesday, January 17, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Each week, library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist patrons with technology questions. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary.
- Teen Book Club (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: This monthly book club run by the Southborough Library for high schoolers requires pre-registration. For details, see related post.
Wednesday, January 18, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Crafternoon: Suncatchers (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Free craft program for ages 8+. Using beads, glass tiles, wires, and prisms create a unique suncatcher to hang in a sunny window in your house. Pre-registration is required and attendance limited. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Rotary Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Regular meeting of the Rotary Club of Southborough. New and prospective members are always welcome. (Held on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.)
Thursday, January 19, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Genealogy Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Monthly informal group meeting to learn and share tips about resources for researching family history. Free and open to the public. Bring your laptop, log into Ancestry.com and join in.
- Raising Resilient Kids (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough. The final session in a series of expert talks for Southborough and Northborough parents, sponsored by Southborough Public Health. (This session: “The Magical Skill of Validation”.) For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, January 20, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Woodward Movie Night (6:15 – 8:15 pm) @ Woodward School: SOS fundraiser for Woodward families. $10/student and $15/max per family. To register, click here.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Family Game Night (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces (group for LBGTQ+ youth grades 6-12 of all faiths and their allies). Event includes dinner, and discussion on Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging. For details, see their website and look for updates on Facebook.
Saturday, January 21, 2023
- Dino Adventures (9:00 – 10:00 am) @ Fay’s Primary School, 23 Middle Road: Saturday’s at Fay event – free to kids ages 6 and under with their parents but space is limited and registration is required. Animal Adventures’ interactive presentation with fossils, dinosaur skulls and more – plus live animals. For details, see dedicated post.
- Innovation Saturday (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Fay’s Primary School, 23 Middle Road: Free hands-on innovation workshops for kids ages 6-12. Space is limited and registration is required. For details, see dedicated post.
- Open Lab for Ideas (10:30 – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Biweekly program for 12-18 yr olds to explore how they can use Library equipment to take creative project ideas and make them a reality.
- Read to a Dog (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library: Program preferably for kids ages 5 and up with some reading ability. Each month, children can sign up to read a short book to a certified therapy dog. Register at the Children’s Room desk or by contacting email@example.com or 508-485-5031.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
- Soup Making Class (2:00 – 4:00 pm) @Southborough Library, Eaton Room: Free demonstration on making your own simple, healthy soups. Registration is required. For details, see dedicated post.
- 2023 Local Elections Pizza Party (6:30 pm) @ Southborough House of Pizza, 5 Main Street: The Central Massachusetts Young Democrats are holding a kickoff event for local campaigns. They are encouraging prospective members (area residents under the age of 36 years old) to attend for free – but also welcoming others to help them raise funds. For details, see dedicated post.
Updated (1/17/23 9:08 am): I added the Saturday Pizza Party event by CMYD.