Update on aerial Mosquito Spraying: Southborough status still pending

by beth on September 16, 2019

A quick update on the status of aerial spraying for mosquitoes in Southborough. It had been scheduled to begin Tuesday night for our area and to last several evenings. I checked in with the state to find out if we did get sprayed. The answer was no.

It turns out, that, due to weather conditions, they didn’t cover all of the Towns listed last week. Southborough was among the Towns missed. The listing and map for this week’s sprayings didn’t include Southborough. Unable to get an answer on our status, I updated Town officials.

The Board of Health reached out to the state and was informed that our spraying is “pending”. The specific day & time depends on weather and availability of planes.

1 Bob Kam September 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM

I heard low flying planes making passes over us at about 2:30 am this morning. Are we sure it didn’t begin last night?

2 beth September 16, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Interesting. All I can tell you is what the state is saying.

3 MarthaB September 16, 2019 at 7:32 PM

I heard those planes too, and @actually saw one with lights on flying very low near our house.

4 Linda S September 16, 2019 at 9:18 PM

I too heard low flying planes last night, heard multiple passes over head. About 2:30 am.

5 MarthaB September 17, 2019 at 7:01 AM

Yes! Thought I was imagining things, but I was up and about that time. Heard those planes and actually saw one with lights on flying fairly close. Maybe they just didn’t spray, or maybe they did :-)

6 Townie September 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM

I second what Bob said, I’m pretty sure they were flying low last night/early morning

7 Greg September 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM

They’ve been maintaining a pretty detailed site about planned sprayings and progress on those sprayings as they happen. Southborough did get covered last night:

8 beth September 17, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Thank you! My links weren’t pulling up that map. And it wasn’t what the state official I spoke to yesterday saw on her computer yesterday morning when I was speaking to her. She was as confused as I was. She could see the information up through Friday night, because she referred to those specifics.

I’m guessing the map was updated or fixed after we spoke. As for why the Board of Health was given inaccurate information, I can’t say.

9 Dean Hillman September 16, 2019 at 8:41 PM

According to this link, most if not all of Southboro was sprayed last night.