Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Tuesday, March 4, 2014:
- K-8 School Budget Forum (9:30 am – 9:30 am) @ Woodward Elementary School – cafeteria: Superintendent Dr. Charles Gobron will share the K-8 Southborough Schools budget. After his presentation, he will answer questions from parents/the public
- NSPAC’s “Coffee and Connect” (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Northborough Library: Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council monthly session. These are an opportunity for attendees to connect with others in the special education community. A specific topic of discussion is chosen by the participants of that session and time is also allocated for sharing and brainstorming on challenges and unmet needs.
- Informational Forum on Common Core (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Northborough Library: Postponed from 2/18 due to weather. A free session held for Southborough and Northborough parents about the Common Core, testing, and concerns parents should have.
- K-8 School Budget Forum (6:30 – 6:30 pm) @ Woodward Elementary School – cafeteria: Superintendent Dr. Charles Gobron will share the K-8 Southborough Schools budget. After his presentation, he will answer questions from parents/the public
Wednesday, March 5, 2014:
- School Budget lunch with Dr. Charles Gobron (11:30 am – 1:00 pm) @: Free event for Northborough and Southborough residents. The school budget accounts for a majority of the town’s budget. Come visit with Superintendent Dr. Charles Gobron and hear about the specifics of our town’s school budget. 11:30 free lunch; noon presentation with Q&A
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
- Neary Ice Cream Social (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Neary School: The SOS fundraiser includes sundaes ($3.50 each) a Book Fair, and a student Art Show. Funds raised will be used for the 5th grade Farewell Gift”. (Click flyer to enlarge.)
- ARHS Jazz Night – with Jeff Galindo (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: Guest artist Jeff Galindo will work with students in a workshop/clinic during the afternoon and then perform with them in the evening. Performers incluce ARHS’ Jazz I, Jazz II and Jazz Choir, plus Trottier and Melican Jazz Ensembles. Tickets are $5 for general public and $3 for seniors/students.
Thursday, March 6, 2014:
- Southborough UNscheduled (evening/night): This is an annual NON-event, organized by Southborough Youth & Family Services. Residents are encouraged to focus on time together as a family this afternoon/evening. Southborough (and Northborough) public schools don’t assign homework, town sports don’t hold evening practices or games, and community organizations and town boards don’t schedule meetings for that night. Parents are encouraged to come home from work in time for family dinner and to cancel or reschedule out of town activities/meetings that interfere.
Friday, March 7, 2014:
- Southborough Rotary Club Talent Show (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Expect a bevy of talented performers aged 5th grade and up. Tickets are available in advance for $10. They will be sold in Trottier’s lobby Wednesday – Friday mornings before school. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Click flyer to enlarge)
Saturday, March 8, 2014:
- Fairy Godmother (11:00 am – 11:00 am) @ Southborough Public Library: Come hear Fairy Godmother Debbie O’Carroll’s magical story and help act it out. This program is for children ages 3-5. Please register in the Children’s Room. Sponsored by the Together We Can Family Network
Sunday, March 9, 2014:
- Assabet Valley Mastersingers (3:30 – 3:30 pm) @ St. Mark’s School: Performance of Petite Messe Solennelle composed by Gioacchino Rossini. This will be the original version of composition with two pianos, harmonium, and soloists.
Updated (3/3/14 5:00 pm): I missed Neary’s Ice Cream Social. Who can forget about sundaes? Especially when all the calories are offset by supporting a fundraiser.
Updated (3/4/14 12:25): The Rotary Talent Show is this Friday night.